Sign in to follow this  
BeardWonder62

Hunting Pressure Unit 22

If you able / willing to hike in some fairly rough country you'll get some relief.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeardWonder62 said:

It’s going to be like that. Can’t be any worse than Antelope season opening day back in WY

It could be. Az’s population is 7 time that of wy, plus out of state hunters. And 22 is the closest to the population center. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

It could be. Az’s population is 7 time that of wy, plus out of state hunters. And 22 is the closest to the population center. 

Not our PRONGHORN population!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

In a unit that huge it’s hard to get away from people? 

A lot of roads. A lot of tags

Its rough enough that you usually only need to be one or two ridges away from the road though. Road Hunters paradise.

My experience., N = 1 (Don't know if your hunt is over).

I had the October tag. Took a hickory bow.  Sort passed on a spike, and soon after did not look hard enough in manzanitas. The bucks were there. The bucks got up and moved out, into view of a jeep road a half mile, 3/4 mile out, with a few rigs on it and hunters. I moved out of  there, and heard some volleys that day.  No more bucks not to be seen, with heat and the prior evening Night Ball. Sat water.  A man scouting elk  came up on the pond, and as he left, a buck and doe got up further up the ridge. Deer, these deer?,had come in last evening, but a thermal at 20 or so yards alerted him, her, both (had bow setup, so they would have had to walk past me to see). 

Took a day off later that week, some hunter using the mentioned jeep road, and I saw no bucks beyond a small spike.

My Unit 22 plan had been to hike further in, but had the October flu, or whatever it was, and therefore hunted where I had earlier scouted bucks. Driving up there from Tucson, I saw vehicles parked off the highway, and few crawling around on the dirt roads. Not alot, but enough. 

Wanted to hunt something different, and did. But I think I should have put 23 in as first choice. If I get a Unit 22 hunt again, I will backpack further in.  In retrospect, kinda silly not to expect that, given Phx's proximity

Unit 22 is such a big unit. It’s very easy to get away from people. In my scouting trips and on my hunt I saw only 1 person. I tend to seek out areas where I know there are deer and where I believe there  won’t be much pressure. 

• Like 1