Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Guess the score results

I got lucky and got a voucher for 3rd season CO last Saturday. Spent Saturday and part of Sunday scouting, drove thousands of miles learning a new unit, glassed a bunch  and 20+ hours in maps and calls to acquaintances. I came home went to work and drove back up late Thursday night. 

I found this buck right away on a knob I had scouted via maps and Onx. Took some video and bailed looking at more country.  In person I couldn't get him over 175" so I questioned if I wanted to pass him.  After talking with a few people that had had the tag in the past, others that have hunted it and those who lived in CO and others giving me their opinion on score I decided to try and kill the buck.  

Being by myself I decided to get in as close as I could in the dark, well as luck would have it, someone walked by me after light and proceeded to push deer everywhere. For some reason he didn't see the buck and about 20 min later the hunter went one way and the buck went another way.  I shot this buck around 7:10am and packed him out in 2 trips by 2 or 2:30 pm. 

Scored 178 2/8ths.  

VideoCapture_20211113-152545.jpg.d69ed8ee17817943a44c824e62f21645.jpg20211115_140752.thumb.jpg.92695bb6a48126de8b6bcb6c5ed19b66.jpgVideoCapture_20211113-091022.jpg.e5bfd0d87e205345f6bda9d8e7ffe230.jpg20211115_141056.jpg.735833075cd04a57ee6ece77f6b4719b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Great Buck! 1

Great Buck!  Not knowing what hunt you had, I would say that buck is hard to pass on for most hunts.  His extra fork is pretty cool.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Great Buck!  Not knowing what hunt you had, I would say that buck is hard to pass on for most hunts.  His extra fork is pretty cool.  

Yeah having been in CO a few times just never this unit I wasn't sure what to expect. Everyone and I mean everyone was telling me with the hot weather, lack of high country snow and the decline in the mature bucks in most of CO I figured a 175 class buck was good enough. I only had a 4 total days to hunt anyway, that made the decision a little easier. 

I talked with a guy that has bought a voucher for the last 5 or 7 years and hasn't killed anything over 170 yet. I didn't know what to think  

23 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Yeah having been in CO a few times just never this unit I wasn't sure what to expect. Everyone and I mean everyone was telling me with the hot weather, lack of high country snow and the decline in the mature bucks in most of CO I figured a 175 class buck was good enough. I only had a 4 total days to hunt anyway, that made the decision a little easier. 

I talked with a guy that has bought a voucher for the last 5 or 7 years and hasn't killed anything over 170 yet. I didn't know what to think  

What is the voucher, is that considered an over-the-counter tag?What is the voucher, is that considered an over-the-counter tag?

Great Job, You found that Diamond in the rough! Congrats!..................BOB!

4 hours ago, Jfos said:

What is the voucher, is that considered an over-the-counter tag?What is the voucher, is that considered an over-the-counter tag?

Landowners get them and they can sell them.  3rd and 4th season tags go for a lot of money unless it is a dry year with little to no migration and then people drop the price in order to sell them.  Still expensive but not nearly what they can be...

1 minute ago, naturebob said:

Great Job, You found that Diamond in the rough! Congrats!..................BOB!

Thanks for talking to me...I really got lucky but put a lot of miles learning the unit and lots of hours pouring over maps.  

• Like 1