Jazz

7E Cow

Here we go. Again!

Probably won't get the Yukon done in time for a last minute scout- (switching out the transfer case and a new yolk is ordered) and I'm busting at the seams ready to go. 

I've spent some time there this past month- lost a cam. By lost I mean someone acquired it. Suddenly roads with a lot of elk activity are closed. (Those wonderful yellow stickers that magically appear on the brown signs) - that kinda sucks. They closed them in mid Nov. Probably during the late archery hunt. (And what's really odd is sometimes  they only post that on one road entrance, but not the others.)

I really love 7E. Not tons of elk, but I'm hopeful the lower resident herds don't move far. I'm heading up the 1st just to chop enough wood for 7 nights. Or I'll hit Flag and get a pickup full from someone selling. 

Got three tags this year- me and the boy, and one of my friends that has never hunted a day in his life. Should prove interesting. 

• Like 5

Jazz, was up there last weekend and saw the same road closure signs on roads that I was on in the deer hunt.  We are headed up that way as well on the 1st of Dec, hopefully will be able to spy up some cows as we have only seen one group this scouting season.

• Like 1

Good luck Jazz. 

• Like 1

Good luck to you guys.  I was there last weekend helping some buddies on their late bull hunt.  SUPER TOUGH hunt, the elk just weren't anywhere I've seen them in the past few years.  Hopefully they'll move into the more glassable country for you, the only recent sign for any elk were in the thick timber, all we saw was a flash of 2 running away. Has been unseasonably warm too.  Just when I thought I had 7E figured out, got punched in the gut and humbled.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, G_E_E said:

Good luck to you guys.  I was there last weekend helping some buddies on their late bull hunt.  SUPER TOUGH hunt, the elk just weren't anywhere I've seen them in the past few years.  Hopefully they'll move into the more glassable country for you, the only recent sign for any elk were in the thick timber, all we saw was a flash of 2 running away. Has been unseasonably warm too.  Just when I thought I had 7E figured out, got punched in the gut and humbled.

Ya, with the w as rm weather they are probably still pretty high up the mountains. Makes it tougher. Gotta find some water to sit or something. 

On 12/5/2021 at 9:15 AM, drcarr said:

How is your hunt going? 3 tags can be tough to fill.....

Took me a few days to locate. Sitting water is out of the question- they’re straight up nocturnal now. I’m in a good area, we’re glassing up bedding from hill to hill. Wasn’t too far from last years spot- fresh sign all over and new tracks everywhere. I think they’re up high and in the nasties during the day. Wondering what kind of storm is coming tomorrow.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, G_E_E said:

I’m hoping we glass in some active corridors. They love the absolute last minute of light.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, Jazz said:

I’m hoping we glass in some active corridors. They love the absolute last minute of light.

How's it going out?  You able to dig em out of where ever the heck they were hiding in that unit.

1 hour ago, G_E_E said:

How's it going out?  You able to dig em out of where ever the heck they were hiding in that unit.

Not yet. Hit Phoenix on Wed for something that couldn wait.  heading back at 5am for last day. 
ready to go the cones if I gotta!

We came home empty handed.

Was a blast though- everyone had a good time. We were in the right place, just didn't see them. Looking forward to next year!

• Like 5

On 12/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, G_E_E said:

Sounds a lot like our hunt went!  

I hope you had as good a time as I did!

• Like 1