Sign in to follow this  
WhtMtnHunter

Big Boguillas Gone?

I wondered when this day was gonna get here.  Honestly can’t believe they put up with all the bullshit they did for as long as they did.  I’m gonna get flamed for this but I’ve never seen a place with such lack of respect for private land ownership as I did in AZ.  Everyone was losing their minds they had to pay $85 to have full run of a half a billion dollar ranch like it was some kind of inconvenience to them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I wondered when this day was gonna get here.  Honestly can’t believe they put up with all the bullshit they did for as long as they did.  I’m gonna get flamed for this but I’ve never seen a place with such lack of respect for private land ownership as I did in AZ.  Everyone was losing their minds they had to pay $85 to have full run of a half a billion dollar ranch like it was some kind of inconvenience to them.  

Yeah, lock everything up like the Midwest

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah, lock everything up like the Midwest

It’s a slow but sure progression.  I’m not for it, was just surprised it lasted as long as it did.  The next thing coming down the pipe is private land tags.  Those Indians are sitting on a few million a year in revenue for the elk and antelope they have and they will get that extracted, it’s just a matter of time.  Again I’m not saying I’m for it or that it’s good by any means, was just exclaiming that I can’t believe it lasted as long as it did.  I watched guys complain about the “greedy” owners because they had to pay $85 and couldn’t drive their side by side where ever they wanted.  They were being so generous by allowing that access for free and for pay.  You don’t even come close to scratching the surface of the cost of ownership of that land at $85 a person access fee even if you sell thousands.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I could be mistaken here but the part I always have contention with is the that a lot of that land 'on the ranch' is checkerboarded with public land but all with pvt land access. I don't believe in this state a landowner has to grant access to public land but sure eliminates a lot of state ground if some sort of agreement can't be reached and sure allows for a lot of 'free' grazing land for the owners of the surrounding land. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

It’s a slow but sure progression.  I’m not for it, was just surprised it lasted as long as it did.  The next thing coming down the pipe is private land tags.  Those Indians are sitting on a few million a year in revenue for the elk and antelope they have and they will get that extracted, it’s just a matter of time.  Again I’m not saying I’m for it or that it’s good by any means, was just exclaiming that I can’t believe it lasted as long as it did.  I watched guys complain about the “greedy” owners because they had to pay $85 and couldn’t drive their side by side where ever they wanted.  They were being so generous by allowing that access for free and for pay.  You don’t even come close to scratching the surface of the cost of ownership of that land at $85 a person access fee even if you sell thousands.  

Were hunters costing them money or something 

4 minutes ago, jdown said:

I could be mistaken here but the part I always have contention with is the that a lot of that land 'on the ranch' is checkerboarded with public land but all with pvt land access. I don't believe in this state a landowner has to grant access to public land but sure eliminates a lot of state ground if some sort of agreement can't be reached and sure allows for a lot of 'free' grazing land for the owners of the surrounding land. 

That’s the way of the west though unfortunately. Tens of millions of acres across the west in the same boat.  In AZ the Baca Float has a ton of checkerboard as well.  It’s complete BS but unless they over turn the corner crossing rule (currently going into a high court right now) there’s no way.  Here in ND a section line is considered public right of way so not only can you corner hop, you can actually walk down a section line across private as long as you stay on it and don’t actively “hunt” but that’s a state by state deal.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jdown said:

I’ve never been there, does the county maintain the roads? 

Just now, trphyhntr said:

Were hunters costing them money or something 

Yeah.  You ever paid to maintain a road?  It’s expensive as heck.  Trash pick up is too.  In an ideal world these hunters would police themselves on rutting roads and destroying the place but we all know that doesn’t happen.  

The liability insurance alone that place must have is gotta cost more then their revenue from hunters.  

5 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Yeah.  You ever paid to maintain a road?  It’s expensive as heck.  Trash pick up is too.  In an ideal world these hunters would police themselves on rutting roads and destroying the place but we all know that doesn’t happen.  

The liability insurance alone that place must have is gotta cost more then their revenue from hunters.  

They only maintain roads for hunters? I would think the insurance cost would have been figured in when they decided to charge hunters? There’s lots of private land open to hunting in AZ no just big bo

Just now, trphyhntr said:

They only maintain roads for hunters?

Ranchers don’t wreck roads nearly as bad as hunters.  I don’t know about you but the general elk and deer hunts I’ve been on the road traffic of hunters vs ranchers 100:1. I guess my take home is there was absolutely zero reason for them to let people on there and only negatives for the landowner.  

3 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Ranchers don’t wreck roads nearly as bad as hunters.  I don’t know about you but the general elk and deer hunts I’ve been on the road traffic of hunters vs ranchers 100:1. I guess my take home is there was absolutely zero reason for them to let people on there and only negatives for the landowner.  

Yep pretty soon everything will suck here and you’ll have to know someone to hunt. like the Midwest 

• Like 1

minus of course the tens of thousands of acres of national forest, state trust land and BLM land.