Sign in to follow this  
WhtMtnHunter

Big Boguillas Gone?

I couldn't find the info. Did they also suggest reducing antelope tags?

• Like 1

Seems like the Big Bo not signing agreements happens every few years.  I have just never heard of the Commission considering reducing tag #s by the amount they are talking about.  And only for bulls, which seems like the State is saying, "If we can't use the land, you can't have outfitters paying your fees to guide hunters either.  We will take our ball and go home."  Because who pays a guide for a cow tag.  I would bet the bull/cow ratio climbs like crazy if the draw suggestions do happen.  

I think it is borderline criminal to allow zero public use of the public lands locked withing the ranch boundaries.  It would be interesting if all the AZ STL inside those same boundaries was revoked for running cattle upon.  I bet an agreement could be made pretty quickly after that.

• Like 4

I would be curious to see how much land they control that is public and how much is state? Many don't seem to get it that state land is not public land. It has been leased and money paid for the right to use it.

You can't see this well but the whole side of this stock tank is littered in busted bottles and trash from shooters. Hunters get the rap for this kind of stuff. If I were a rancher and could shut it down to the public I would too. It only takes one idiot to cause problems for everyone.

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

• Like 2

A few weeks ago, this thread made me curious about Big Bo so I did some online searching.

Lots of shady dealings in its sale in the 1970's to an Indian (American, thankfully) Tribe with typical highly questionable transactions around the sale.  People charged, and maybe convicted (I don't recall) of illegal acts in its sale.

Until my search, I had no idea that it was owned by a tribe.

Eddie

I don't think it sound safe to put that many cow hunters together in a smaller area. My first 10 cow tag had 150ish tags total. But that was before what really is ruining hunting moved here. Still wondering what the chop on goat tags is gonna be for 10..

Maybe with g&fs  new found wealth they can do a counter offer to the navajo tribe for the hunting rights which would bypass the guides offer

4 hours ago, creed said:

I would be curious to see how much land they control that is public and how much is state? Many don't seem to get it that state land is not public land. It has been leased and money paid for the right to use it.

You can't see this well but the whole side of this stock tank is littered in busted bottles and trash from shooters. Hunters get the rap for this kind of stuff. If I were a rancher and could shut it down to the public I would too. It only takes one idiot to cause problems for everyone.

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

I’ll never forget the story of a rancher friend of mines grandpa,.

he came a cross 2 guys in a jeep shooting his water tank. Mounted on horse back he rode to the jeep that has its door left open. He put two 45lc into the open door. 

the driver came running over yelling “Hey, that’s my jeep”

the rancher spoke softly” that’s my tank”

they loaded up and drove off. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:58 PM, Explorer said:

Camping and target shooting as well as prospecting are not allowed.

But nearly never enforced.  State Land laws have become a joke.  I wish they would enforce them.

1 minute ago, StickFlicker said:

But nearly never enforced.  State Land laws have become a joke.  I wish they would enforce them.

See?

5 hours ago, StickFlicker said:

Only when the rancher calls about someone touching a corner

IMHO, probably the best way to handle "checkerboard" land access is for the state to charge a current/low rate for accessible parcels and a substantially higher rate for inaccessible parcels.  I don't see this as punitive, after all the lease holder has exclusive use and control of an inaccessible parcel.