Matt Tanner

World Record Bull

A guy just has to wonder if this bulls previous sheds have been recovered. Seems we would have seen pics of those sheds. Am I suspicious? Just a wee bit.

Have 400+ bulls come from that area before?

Have folks up there been watching this bull for how many years? Or did he just show up one year?

Am I accusing anybody of anything? Nope, 'cause I sure as heck don't know. Just seems a bit queer that 400+ bulls aren't a dime-a-dozen, then pops up a 500" bull?

Has there ever been a 500" bull - ever - under any circumstances? If so, where was this 500" bull?

Last question: Will some people do just about anything for money, power, or fame?

Suspiciously,

Mike

Rembrant- Shipley bull was 502 gross, from San Carlos, I'm sure a bunch of farm bulls are over 500..

This spider bull has been hunted for a couple of months already but finally was finished off. What a stud bull

there is so much rumor and inuendo about this bull that i kinda doubt if it ever gets recgonized. wasn't there another post on here about it a couple days ago? did it get nuked? Lark.

Yep, the Shipsy bull was 502 gross. But the San Carlos and surrounding area are famous for monster bulls. (I don't believe it was accepted into the book for some reason though? Does anyone know the story behind that?) Monroe traditionally isn't known as a monster bull unit. But heck, the biggest mule deer to come out of Nevada came from a county that only has one deer in the books. It happens to be the #4 nontypical in the world though ;)

Doug, a guy i know up there (and very much value his opinion) told me this bull was a 370 type bull last year with splits off his 4's. Which means he put on 130" of bone in a single year. I have a hard time believing that one as well. I guess it's possible, but i don't know... I guess I have my doubts too.

Is the shipsy Bull the one they used radios to talk to each other on while hunting the bull. If it is than that is the reason it did not make the book. The hunter slipped the fact that one of the guides told him on the radio (oops).

Yeah Lark, you said something similar yesterday, someone else came back and said something nasty to you. I was actually writing in to agree with you and my post wouldn't take cause the string got nuked.

Kinda glad it did. You know, a lot of huntin has just turned into a flippin circus, but I don't believe there is anything that can be done about it. Folks have a right to make money and spend it on whatever they want. Guides are simply following their dreams in the free interprise system.

I was talking to some guys this morning about the big bull that got whacked in unit 10. The conversation was going the same way - money, guides, too much help, airplanes, etc. Then I looked up the pic on this site and saw the hunter was Randall Cramer. I like that guy; have met him and had lengthy conversations with him. I'm glad he got that elk. I'm glad he could afford the guides to insure a monster kill. I don't think any less of him because I know he's a heck of a hunter - way beyond my abilities. Made feel stupid about the stuff I was saying.

I think the only answer is to hunt when I can and make the most of it. A lot of the units (maybe all) ain't what they used to be because of the circus. Makes me wish times haven't changed so, but what I really gotta do is just be greatful for being one of the people that knows what it used to be and was able to experience it.

I'm still suspicious of the spider bull. Can 500" bulls be legit? Maybe so. But if people are shootin bulls with roids, I hope it gets exposed.

Mike

I was never quite sure why the Shipsey bull wasn't accepted. I was the biologist on San Carlos at the time and Boone and Crockett called me and asked for all kinds of info on the management of the elk herd there. I figured it didn't get accepted because Shipsey had a shady past, but I don't know for sure. That was one awesome bull!! I got to eat some backstrap from him the evening he was killed.

Lark, yes that thread got removed, it went downhill fast. Please all, let's remember to avoid any name calling and keep discussions away from bashing people.

Amanda

I was told the shipsey bull got disqualified because shipsey was not supposed to own guns due to a felony of somesort. Who knows rumors are just that rumors.

If the shipsy bull is the one I am thinking about, did he get busted for poaching prior to killing the bull, there fore making anything he kills unacceptable by B&C?

If the shipsy bull is the one I am thinking about, did he get busted for poaching prior to killing the bull, there fore making anything he kills unacceptable by B&C?

That's what I meant by a shady past.....

Amanda

Very impressive bull. I think a lot of people get into the "high fence" frame of mind out of jealousy and spite. That man is very lucky to have been able to take such a tremendous animal, regardless of however much money it took. Congratulations Mr. Austad!!!