Steve6060al

Black River

7 hours ago, Apache7mm said:

No changes still stage 1. The Department plans to keep the Reservation open for as long as possible pending any fires.

On a side note we've been stocking the dirt ponds pretty heavy with catfish (hwy tank area, warm springs area, ash creek area, clover area), bass (hwy tank area, juniper tank), trout (Seneca, POP, Cienega tank (12-14")) all across the Reservation.

DAN

DSC_1140.JPG

And here I thought that flying fish were only in the ocean.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up on the fire restrictions, Dan!

As an interesting note, I see that the Stage 2 definition for San Carlos differs slightly from USFS, in that the use of propane is also prohibited (USFS allows propane with under Stage 2.).

Heads-up for everyone on that.  Gotta read the details. ;) 

• Like 2

Good catch stanley, it's the first thing that stood out to me as well and I'm sure anyone else who read it. Still not certain if it was a typo to begin with because I'm pretty sure Propane still good to go during stage 2 restrictions on the Rez, however the Tribe I'm sure can modify if/and when needed.

In either case here's the latest update.

DAN

Screenshot_20220528-170044_Chrome.jpg

I plan on heading up in the next week or so.  I have hunted spring turkey on San Carlos quite a few times but this will be my first ever fishing trip. 

I have a few questions:

Does anyone have any recent fishing and water level reports?  

The way I read the current regulations, propane stoves & lanterns are ok but no camp fires.  Correct? 

Fishing license for the black is $20 per day plus a $5 habitat stamp?  Since I have fishing license I do not have to buy daily camping permit? 

In case of confrontation with bears, do you recommend carrying a hand gun? 

Any secret fishing tips or lures?  PM's are welcome and I know how to keep secrets.  I have Jeffrey Epstein's client list and my lips are sealed.

Thanks to all that reply.

I went last weekend and did pretty good. The river is low and starting to get pretty mossy though 

Currently still in stage 1 fire restrictions (completely read the above document).

The $5 habitat stamp is a yearly requirement so keep it all year for all your SC activities. 

Consecutive days of fishing/recreation allow you to camp overnight for those days.

You are allowed to have a firearm for personal protection.

Also in case others aren't aware, you can fish from either bank (SCAR or WMAT) with either permit (SCAR or WMAT). You must be camped though on the side which you have your permits for/from.

DAN

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Apache7mm said:

Also in case others aren't aware, you can fish from either bank (SCAR or WMAT) with either permit (SCAR or WMAT). You must be camped though on the side which you have your permits for/from.

If you make that retroactive I want my fine money back!

58 minutes ago, Apache7mm said:

Currently still in stage 1 fire restrictions (completely read the above document).

The $5 habitat stamp is a yearly requirement so keep it all year for all your SC activities. 

Consecutive days of fishing/recreation allow you to camp overnight for those days.

You are allowed to have a firearm for personal protection.

DAN

Good info there Dan! I always wondered if you were able to fish from the other side of the river! 

Heading out tomorrow for my first time to ever fish this.  Been wanting to do this for about 40 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1