tommat

Noon Siesta or

Just curious, how many of you stay out in the field all day during a hunt and how many return to camp for lunch and a siesta. I am betting the majority of you plan for a full day in the field. I do both depending on the weather. During the hot earlier hunts I am more likely to return to camp for a mid day recharge...I have heard that coues have a mid day flurry of acivity...watering, stetching, getting a snack. I havn't really seen this for myself other than deer moving to a new bed spot when the sun hits 'em. I am sure the corrct thing is of course to stay out. You can't harvest a deer from your camp napping.

You can't harvest a deer from your camp napping.

That's the answer I'd give.....you'd be surprised when you will catch them

I have found over the years that the hours between 9am & 2pm to be the most active where I hunt. All day on a stand is always better but most can't do that. Good luck. :)

TJ

i will stay out longer in the cooler times as well , but i always come back to eat twice during the day, but just for about an hour. Bars and snacks or sandwiches just wont cut it for me, ha ha, im young and need a full meal to keep me going, just how it is for me. :P

I take a noon siesta. but I usually just find a nice tree to lay under instead of going back to camp. That way I can stay in the field and start glassing once the nap is over.

This always depends on the hunt, the weather, and time of year for me. Typically I like to stay out all day, I always try to be in a glassing position between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm and glass into the bedding areas at that time.....especially during the early hunts. The deer do tend to stand up, feed, strectch or move into another shady spot at this time! I've seen on some hunts where the bucks are never up during daylight until late morning when they get up and move very little, only to bed back down in a more shady spot......this seems to be the case in heavily hunted areas, full moon phase, and hotter early hunts.

This always depends on the hunt, the weather, and time of year for me. Typically I like to stay out all day, I always try to be in a glassing position between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm and glass into the bedding areas at that time.....especially during the early hunts. The deer do tend to stand up, feed, strectch or move into another shady spot at this time! I've seen on some hunts where the bucks are never up during daylight until late morning when they get up and move very little, only to bed back down in a more shady spot......this seems to be the case in heavily hunted areas, full moon phase, and hotter early hunts.

Ditto ;)

All day. I do pay attention to the moon as well. I expect to see more movement when the moon is directly overhead, or 180* on the other side of the ball.

I usually get a nap in during the day while hunting but I don't go back to camp to do it, especially when it's hot (like it's gonna be next week :angry: ) I just tuck up under a bush or tree and rest the ol eyeballs a little. Last year I woke up from a little nap and had Mearns quail all around me making that little chirping noise they make, took me a while to figure out what the heck it was.

I stay out all day. I usually have burnt alot of energy getting to were I want to be and I don't want to do that twice in one day. I take plenty of snacks and water. I also get my naps in when I am out there. All day, JLG.

Leave camp long before the sun comes up and return long after it goes down. Take a nap in the field if needed and pack a lunch. Thats just my thoughts and how I do it anyway.

All depends on what I'm hunting. If I'm hunting for coues I'll stay out all day long. Why come back to camp and then hike again?? If I'm already up there I stay there and save energy.

Ernesto C

Most of the time I stay out all day. Usually around 11:00 I will find a comfortable spot under a good tree with a view, and have a good lunch and maybe read a paperback for awhile and then take a nap. Then do some glassing to find deer that might be moving mid day. I always try and find a tree with good protection on the back and sides, so that rogue lion won't sneak up and chew on my face ;)