Sign in to follow this  
TAM

High country mule deer hunt

Last week I had the opportunity to go to Nevada to do a high country wilderness back pack hunt for mule deer. A storm came in the day before we were supposed to pack in and dumped about a foot and a half of snow up top making it impossible for us to hike in for a couple days. After about three days of hunting the low country and seeing nothing but does and small bucks the snow melted enough that we were finally able to hike into our spike camp at 10,450 foot elevation. We camped in a saddle right at the top of the tree line and hunted for the next three days. We saw a lot of deer including a big boy that unfortunately I missed…. twice! The shot was extreme down hill and even after I compensated I still shot just a hair over his back. This other buck showed himself at about three in the afternoon on the last night of the hunt and I shot him at 418 yards, right at 10,800 foot elevation.

This was the first time I’ve ever done a back pack style hunt into a wilderness area and even though I sucked wind climbing those mountains I had a great time. The temps were cold at night and warmed up during the day. The best part was that we didn’t see another soul for the three days and we had the entire top of the mountain where the bigger bucks lived all to ourselves.

Steep country!

post-25-1224381886_thumb.jpg

Spike camp

post-25-1224381899_thumb.jpg

We could glass for miles

post-25-1224381911_thumb.jpg

Looking down where I missed the big buck

post-25-1224381927_thumb.jpg

The wind pushed the bullet just behind the shoulder and this is what we had to follow into the pine thicket

post-25-1224381944.jpg

Where he lay

post-25-1224382027_thumb.jpg

Me and my buck

post-25-1224381969_thumb.jpg

Caped out on the snow

post-25-1224381982.jpg

The sun sets as we're packing out

post-25-1224382038_thumb.jpg

Congratulations!!!

If those pictures don't get you wound up and ready to go huntin, nothing will!!!