Sign in to follow this  
AzRaised08

Age?

Found this whitetail shed while out scouting in 6A this weekend. Any idea how old it is? It has some brown around the base and the white areas still feel pretty smooth. My guess is that it wasn’t shed this winter but the winter before? Just curious what your thoughts are

24E27DBA-FFEE-48E3-B800-76BBE8499156.jpeg

• Like 3

Yep I would say last year's drop. Nice find.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Did you find it in the direct sun? Lets see the pedicle.

Sorry I missed this last night, I will post a photo of it this evening. Yeah, I figured it would have been dropped no earlier than 2020, but I just don’t know enough to say 2020 or 2021. It was found right off a small game trail under a mid size pinyon tree. I would think it gets sun at least half the day

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, PRDATR said:

Did you find it in the direct sun? Lets see the pedicle.

Here is the pedicle. What are you looking for when determining the time it was shed?

D84F62E9-72E9-4565-8BBA-EBC224E10B60.jpeg

I was looking to see how weather worn it was. I found one a few years ago on a spring turkey hunt in eastern AZ laying next to a fence. It was hidden in some grass and I stepped on it. The pedicle was still very pink and I guess it was maybe a week at most.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I was looking to see how weather worn it was. I found one a few years ago on a spring turkey hunt in eastern AZ laying next to a fence. It was hidden in some grass and I stepped on it. The pedicle was still very pink and I guess it was maybe a week at most.

Dang yeah I bet that must have been very new. About what time of year do they shed? I know it varies from state to state due to weather/temperature differences 

15 hours ago, AzRaised08 said:

Dang yeah I bet that must have been very new. About what time of year do they shed? I know it varies from state to state due to weather/temperature differences 

My personal theory is it also depends on the age of the deer, type of deer and the latitude. In this case this WT buck dropped in the middle of April 25 miles SW of Alpine but I have seen WT bucks with antlers right up into June.

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

My personal theory is it also depends on the age of the deer, type of deer and the latitude. In this case this WT buck dropped in the middle of April 25 miles SW of Alpine but I have seen WT bucks with antlers right up into June.

Oh wow! Were the ones in June in the southern units of AZ?