Sign in to follow this  
AZ7maghunter

Rocky Point Fishing Charter Rec?

11 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Skates? Lol, east coast boy? They don’t have barbs, our rays sure do,

I thought that's what all the small ones were called. Caught a couple off the jetty, one got me good 

22 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I thought that's what all the small ones were called. Caught a couple off the jetty, one got me good 

Where were you fishing, San Diego or Rocky Point? The only Skate in the Sea of Cortez is the Rasptail Skate. There are a few different kinds of Skates off the coast of California though.

Get a spear gun and work the jetty off Wrecked at the Reef. We usually get a few nice grouper, snapper, and Spanish mackerel. It's a lot more fun than getting hung up on the rocks. Here is a pic of a couple grouper my boys shot last time we were in Mexico. 

410.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow! 1

32 minutes ago, PJM said:

Get a spear gun and work the jetty off Wrecked at the Reef. We usually get a few nice grouper, snapper, and Spanish mackerel. It's a lot more fun than getting hung up on the rocks. Here is a pic of a couple grouper my boys shot last time we were in Mexico. 

i been trying to get someone to roll with me to work that jetty now that I got spearfishing equipment. Nice fish 

8 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i been trying to get someone to roll with me to work that jetty now that I got spearfishing equipment. Nice fish 

How much did you have to spend to get set up all in?

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

How much did you have to spend to get set up all in?

Depends, I mean you can get by with $30 set of fins and a $100 gun. 

I bought $65 fins, $80 mask, $100 gun and it sucks. Should have got a $250 gun and I’ll have to upgrade my fins eventually if I get good at free diving. 

then you need other stuff like water socks type booties, floating line and a float. It’s pretty fun though. But it’s not easy either 

i was thinking when I go I’ll let some one use my gun so I have someone to go with, and then I’ll upgrade my gun and my fins 

12 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Should plan on spending $750 or more for a quality gun

Yeah but that’s over killfor the Jetty and snorkeling the rocks around lobos. 

13 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Depends, I mean you can get by with $30 set of fins and a $100 gun. 

I bought $65 fins, $80 mask, $100 gun and it sucks. Should have got a $250 gun and I’ll have to upgrade my fins eventually if I get good at free diving. 

then you need other stuff like water socks type booties, floating line and a float. It’s pretty fun though. But it’s not easy either 

i was thinking when I go I’ll let some one use my gun so I have someone to go with, and then I’ll upgrade my gun and my fins 

So a good gun $250, good fins $65 and a $80 mask which I assume is probably good. Call it $300, I'd say that's reasonable. Sounds funner to do that then fish off a kayak. Not to mention grabbing a grouper there on a rod seems impossible without getting broke off. 

6 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

So a good gun $250, good fins $65 and a $80 mask which I assume is probably good. Call it $300, I'd say that's reasonable. Sounds funner to do that then fish off a kayak. Not to mention grabbing a grouper there on a rod seems impossible without getting broke off. 

Depends, they’re both fun. I’ve spearfished twice. once fish everywhere, last month very difficult conditions. I need a lot more practice. I might drive down and hit that Jetty. In October. 

• Like 1

Are there lobsters at the jetty? I e speared them in the Bahamas and some other Caribbean islands around rocks like that. 

43 minutes ago, JSR said:

Are there lobsters at the jetty? I e speared them in the Bahamas and some other Caribbean islands around rocks like that. 

Nope. But there’s a bar there with hot chicks a lot of times 

I like Riffe spear guns. We have two 110 euro track guns and a 75 euro. You could buy a Rob Allen or a Cressi Aluminum gun, but I prefer wood guns as they are quieter underwater. Stay away from JBL and Hammerhead. Go on the Riffe website and watch "Jay's Garage Sale" there I picked up 2 factory seconds. Mask and fins  - Riffe and Cressi make good quality stuff for the money. 

No lobsters on the jetty -  Seen a few octopus.

• Like 2