Sign in to follow this  
desertmafia21

New IPhone 14 with satellite communication

8 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

i saw the meme, idk if it was real. but story said guy was lost and didnt answer his phone when searchers called because he didnt recognize the number lol 

Musta been sick and tired of those car warranty phone calls I guess 

• Like 1

Lets see here, Zoleo device 200$ Phone already have is like 250$, few bucks a month for service that i can turn off anytime VS 1200$ new phone with service fee for satellite, guessing this is no game changer for most that use this tech. I spend most of my time solo doing fairly dangerous activities so I always carry my satellite device.

When I need a new phone I guess this may be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Lets see here, Zoleo device 200$ Phone already have is like 250$, few bucks a month for service that i can turn off anytime VS 1200$ new phone with service fee for satellite, guessing this is no game changer for most that use this tech. I spend most of my time solo doing fairly dangerous activities so I always carry my satellite device.

When I need a new phone I guess this may be an option.

Yea I get the cost of a new phone is not cheap. To me having one less monthly service plan and carrying one less device is worth it. Although if the phone magically stops working, that could get interesting. I’m definitely going to put this thing to the test before I sell my Garmin unit. 

On 9/16/2022 at 9:10 AM, ShutYourLib said:

You sound like a knob. Your whole message here is to do things the way you do them or not do them at all?  Or, are you trying to convey how bad butt you are to a bunch or strangers on the internet? Also, you do understand that there is a great big world out there that extends past the AZ border, right?  Most people don’t want this functionality because they are afraid of getting lost, it’s because people can and do get hurt in areas outside of cell range. 

with your logic, the only reason to have a gps is to stop you from getting lost.  I keep hundreds of waypoints and interesting finds in my gps.  Granted, the fact that you could not deduce a reason for having this other than being lost, leads me to believe that you probably would have problems learning how to use it anyway. Carry on mountain man..

speaking of Knobs - pot, meet kettle please )).  You inferred much more than I wrote.

Look - if you want the technology, great.  Use it - it is indeed helpful.  I guess my sarcasm/humor was lost in print with my main point being do not rely on technology if you don't know the basics.  When your device fails, figure  out how not to panic when it happens.  Know you waypoints in your mind at least.  Getting lost without these things is an experience in itself, and a worthwhile one.  You'll certainly understand what panic is.   No - I'm no mountain man at all. I do enjoy getting out, and in "most" places in AZ, there are indeed roads every 1/4  - 1/2 mile except for wilderness areas.  

Happy hunting. 

I'm sure our totally trustworthy government wouldn't find any nefarious ways to use this against troublesome gun owning citizens

On 9/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, DutchmanAZ said:

phsaawww....with all of your electric gadgets your mountain man kinfolk would be ashamed.  Amazing how anyone survived to this point.  leave your fucking cell phones at home and live a little. Get lost a little.  Panic a little. And learn.    

Says a guy typing on a keyboard connected to a computer plugged into a outlet  

• Haha 1

I’ll spend an extra couple hundred bucks to get this phone when the time comes for an upgrade.     Having a sat phone on the same device that hosts my Onyx will be a game changer.    I’ve always wanted a sat emergency device but never could get my head around the hassle of carrying another thing in my pack or on me.