Sign in to follow this  
phil

7mm-08 Nosler 120 gr ballistic tip

4 hours ago, phil said:

Any input out there on how these little 120s perform on coues deer out to 500 yrds?

Nosler ballistic tips are designed for thin skinned game, if they shoot well out of your rifle you'll be fine.

Fantastic bullet for the 7-08.  I load this bullet for my rifle as well as three others.  Kills out to and past 500 yards.  Three cow elk as well from  80 to 250 yards.   They have always exited too.  

They actually have a stouter jacket than the 140 gr BTs.  my understanding is that Nosler uses the same copper blanks for the 120s and 140s.  The 120 don't need to be extruded to the length the 140s do.  This gives them a thicker jacket.

If you do load them in your 7/08, I have found that Varget is a fantastic powder for the combo.

• Like 2

Thanks very much I loaded 5 rounds  with staball 6.5 and had all 5 touching so they look promising I will try varget to see I how it works in my rifle I just didn’t know how they performed on game.Thanks again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Couesdeer said:

Fantastic bullet for the 7-08.  I load this bullet for my rifle as well as three others.  Kills out to and past 500 yards.  Three cow elk as well from  80 to 250 yards.   They have always exited too.  

They actually have a stouter jacket than the 140 gr BTs.  my understanding is that Nosler uses the same copper blanks for the 120s and 140s.  The 120 don't need to be extruded to the length the 140s do.  This gives them a thicker jacket.

If you do load them in your 7/08, I have found that Varget is a fantastic powder for the combo.

Yes, this is correct. 120g is a little bit tighter than the 140g in the 7mm

• Like 1

The 120s are tough, been using them for over 10 years in the 708 exclusively. Elk, muleys and coues, no problem shooting an elk in the shoulders with it, drt, I've yet to catch one in an elk through the vitals always exit, like a tsx. 2 years ago my brother killed a cow elk one week and my wife a nice muley the next week, one shot no tracking kills.

Kent

• Like 1

I have killed coues and coyotes. But I didn't have enough terminal ballistics past 500 for me. I did destroy a pair of lungs on a coues at 420. Looked like a horror movie. 

• Like 1

I love that bullet. Taken three elk for us out of a 7-08 around 3000fps. I spoke with nosler, and they said the 120 and 140 start as the same blank but the 140 is extruded more. Here’s a pic that should illustrate it. 

for comparison, I shot the 140gr at a coues a few years back from a 280ai around 3150fps at around 500 yards. Recovered bullet  had about 70% weight retention. The thinner jacket worked well at the reduced velocity at that distance. 

5F70F8D8-94CC-4869-9B0D-7473B3D333BF.jpeg

• Like 2