Markleo21377

Isla’s First Elk

Our friends from Texas traveled here last week for their 11 year old daughters first elk hunt in 3A/3C. Opening morning was the type of experience you hope a first time elk hunter gets to be a part of. Multiple bulls screaming leading you into a herd. Unfortunately, the fog rolled in so thick that we could not ever get a good opportunity but knew where they bedded.

That afternoon we hiked  down a ridge that allowed us to look south into the canyon they were in. Not 30 minutes in and  the bull had them up and moving giving Isla a 294 yard shot with her 6.5 creedmore. One well placed shot through the shoulder and she had her first elk. Man these youth hunts are so fun to help on! 
D59E4A28-9579-49E6-B121-ACFD93BB0195.thumb.jpeg.d5178c8e254fc95c555719db1d675470.jpeg

• Like 28

Congratulations to her on a great shot! A very exciting moment getting her first elk.

Do you know what round she used? My wife is likely going to use a 6.5 creedmor for her late bull hunt this year and I’ve been trying to gather more info on effective ranges. Nice to know it was effective out to 300 yds

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AzRaised08 said:

Congratulations to her on a great shot! A very exciting moment getting her first elk.

Do you know what round she used? My wife is likely going to use a 6.5 creedmor for her late bull hunt this year and I’ve been trying to gather more info on effective ranges. Nice to know it was effective out to 300 yds

She used the Hornady 143 eldx. Bullet went through shoulder and devestated the organs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Markleo21377 said:

She used the Hornady 143 eldx. Bullet went through shoulder and devestated the organs. 

Excellent rounds. My son killed his first cow and bear with same ones. He hit the bear a little too far back but still didn’t go more than 100 yds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el diablo said:

Excellent rounds. My son killed his first cow and bear with same ones. He hit the bear a little too far back but still didn’t go more than 100 yds. 

Same experience here…friend’s family has killed a couple bulls with the 143. Hoping to try the same round on a couple cow elk next weekend. 

• Like 2

Awsome job! The kids hunts are so much fun.Its even better if you have more than one hunter as the get some competition going for who's animal is bigger .Personally I get more enjoyment from seeing the kids learn and hunt than I do on my own hunts.Congrats to a new hunter on a great cow .

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, Markleo21377 said:

That’s the same bullet my wife is planning to use! Great to know you all had success with it. Thanks for the info Mark!

• Like 1