Sign in to follow this  
bo5953

Biggest to Date

Got a chance to hunt the southern portion of the state this year for the second season.  Such a beautiful area.  Opening morning was awesome at a mere 28 degrees.  Pulled into camp and started glassing from there.  TONS of deer up on their feet until late morning.  Only saw a few smaller bucks and not looking for a meat hunt yet as we had until Tuesday night before we had to pull out.  Met up with some friends midday and headed back to a spot I had been eyeballing on Google Earth.  Started picking up a few deer with one being a mid sized buck.  Too far and too small for day one.  Moved the glass to the North and picked this guy up at about 1,000 yards.  I usually try to keep all my shots to 350 yards or less.  I just don’t practice enough to do otherwise.  There really weren't any good vantage points for a shot except for the small rise right in front of the ridge he was on that I ranged to be about 200 yards from him and getting there I was going to be in the wide open for the first ½ of the stock.  I decided it was worth a shot.  Down the hill and into the wash to the right trying to use what little cover I had until I could get behind the rise.  My buddies stayed up top and let me know he was still there and feeding out into the open.  I used the small hill to stay concealed and finished the stock with a 40 yard belly crawl just far enough to where my barrel would clear the brush and I had a good sight line to the buck.  Almost like he knew I was coming he turns dead broadside in a wide open spot.  I ranged him at 195 yds.  “Click” goes the safety and he lifts his head startled at the noise.  I couldn’t believe he actually heard that from there.  Still broadside I centered the shot and “BOOM - - SHWACK”...... Buck Down!  Great hunt with great friends. 

1707589216_View1.jpg.d59cee37c84fcf4b43fa18564b96e3a7.jpg

1101676746_View2.jpg.eb86579f2d25b488a8dc73723e43dc65.jpg

1773779636_View3.jpg.b6ea6f44ae363dc5bbb969ccc3e8c922.jpg

Shot.thumb.jpg.d5d5083a7e80c54edee523a360dee590.jpg

2111888791_Buck2.jpg.15d35bc5cb176717b4aa64877e0f6153.jpg

1706795381_Buck1.jpg.87a13f62541ddea701f71a6ae56f4e12.jpg

Need help with sideways pics.

• Like 17
  • Great Buck! 5

Great character on that buck, congrats.  Thank you for staying within your own range of comfort and not just “letting it fly” because the stock was far and hard.     Makes for a better story also.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bo5953 said:

Got a chance to hunt the southern portion of the state this year for the second season.  Such a beautiful area.  Opening morning was awesome at a mere 28 degrees.  Pulled into camp and started glassing from there.  TONS of deer up on their feet until late morning.  Only saw a few smaller bucks and not looking for a meat hunt yet as we had until Tuesday night before we had to pull out.  Met up with some friends midday and headed back to a spot I had been eyeballing on Google Earth.  Started picking up a few deer with one being a mid sized buck.  Too far and too small for day one.  Moved the glass to the North and picked this guy up at about 1,000 yards.  I usually try to keep all my shots to 350 yards or less.  I just don’t practice enough to do otherwise.  There really weren't any good vantage points for a shot except for the small rise right in front of the ridge he was on that I ranged to be about 200 yards from him and getting there I was going to be in the wide open for the first ½ of the stock.  I decided it was worth a shot.  Down the hill and into the wash to the right trying to use what little cover I had until I could get behind the rise.  My buddies stayed up top and let me know he was still there and feeding out into the open.  I used the small hill to stay concealed and finished the stock with a 40 yard belly crawl just far enough to where my barrel would clear the brush and I had a good sight line to the buck.  Almost like he knew I was coming he turns dead broadside in a wide open spot.  I ranged him at 195 yds.  “Click” goes the safety and he lifts his head startled at the noise.  I couldn’t believe he actually heard that from there.  Still broadside I centered the shot and “BOOM - - SHWACK”...... Buck Down!  Great hunt with great friends. 

1706795381_Buck1.jpg.87a13f62541ddea701f71a6ae56f4e12.jpg

Awesome buck. Congrats!