firstcoueswas80

Setting kids up for the shot

14 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I never had bipods or clamp or any device to hold my rifle.  I was about the same age too.  Maybe it’s where I grew up and was blessed with a lot of plinking, rabbit hunting, prairie dog shooting and just getting out very often that helped me.  Before I had my .270, I was using the old man’s  257 Roberts on coyotes and used what was available like prone, kneeling, fence post or tree limb.  When I got the 270, we went out and shot the heck out of it.  So much that I could hit with decent accuracy no matter what since the gun was kind of a part of me.  Some of the times we went out, we didn’t fire a shot but I carried the rifle the whole time that it imprinted and seemed easy to use after a while. Kind of like the military drills where they do pointless moves over and over that the rifle feels so useful, it’s kind of a part of you.  That’s my recommendation, practice with practical shots.  Bench rest work is good too.  While at the bench or plinking, maybe use a bipod periodically if you’re worried about it, but don’t leave the bipod on while he is young.  I think a bipod is not a good permanent rifle fixture, only temporary.

Man I couldn't disagree with you more on the bipod. I still have a bipod on my rifle at all times. 

• Like 2

Bipod imo is unnecessary weight (especially this year). I use a triclawps on the front of the gun and a primos trigger stick on the back end. Take a beanie and put it in the y of the trigger stick and use the little strap on the handle to cinch it down in place. Then you can slide it back and forth on the butt stock to raise and lower it.  I'll set it up like that for the kid with the cross hairs underneath the buck so when they press down on the stock with there cheek it anchors the back end in place and it will raise the cross hairs right where he will need it. Very simple but very effective and next best thing to shooting prone but not having to worry about grass being in your way on a prone shot.  My youngest drilled his first buck at 200 yards this way 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Since I was accused of not starting any shoot lately. Let me ask, If a kid can’t set the gun up himself, find it in the scope, and shoot it, is he old enough to be hunting? 

You sound like naturebob …

2 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

He was from California... he missed a nice buck at 600, then smoked a 100" buck at 700!

Yep hunting is like military artillery, a few ranging shots to get on target are the norm.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Bipod imo is unnecessary weight (especially this year). I use a triclawps on the front of the gun and a primos trigger stick on the back end. Take a beanie and put it in the y of the trigger stick and use the little strap on the handle to cinch it down in place. Then you can slide it back and forth on the butt stock to raise and lower it.  I'll set it up like that for the kid with the cross hairs underneath the buck so when they press down on the stock with there cheek it anchors the back end in place and it will raise the cross hairs right where he will need it. Very simple but very effective and next best thing to shooting prone but not having to worry about grass being in your way on a prone shot.  My youngest drilled his first buck at 200 yards this way 

How do you haul all that around the hills then find time to set it up before the shot is passed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of positions to shoot from. I’m not anti Bipod, I have my share of them, 5 total with three different manufacturers, but they feel like too much when I’m carrying everything and have something bulky near the end of my rifle.  When I’m doing long range, I use them but most of my deer or elk shots are from 75-400 yards.  Something I have confidence in without a bipod.

im a lefty and this position feels real good for me.  Notice how he sits on his foot. A good thing to do is try them all and see what works.  Doing that can only help, not hurt.  After that, bring out the bipod.

87EB962E-AD8C-4D71-B618-214CF481A5EF.jpeg

73CD4344-F21D-4AFA-838D-BE0F273ECB58.jpeg

39F1EF1A-7D0C-42ED-871B-6AA566C9A4AC.jpeg

739AB8EB-9445-43D6-9F0D-C885DA91FB9A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

There are a lot of positions to shoot from. I’m not anti Bipod, I have my share of them, 5 total with three different manufacturers, but they feel like too much when I’m carrying everything and have something bulky near the end of my rifle.  When I’m doing long range, I use them but most of my deer or elk shots are from 75-400 yards.  Something I have confidence in without a bipod.

im a lefty and this position feels real good for me.  Notice how he sits on his foot. A good thing to do is try them all and see what works.  Doing that can only help, not hurt.  After that, bring out the bipod.

Gangster, I dig it. 

27 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

How do you haul all that around the hills then find time to set it up before the shot is passed?

The tripods already with me if I'm hunting. The only thing I would need to bring that's extra is the trigger stick (2 leg version) in which case I'll use it as a walking stick.  And I'm not going to far from the truck on a youth hunt anyway.  

• Like 1

Both my daughters shoot off a tripod with the attachment below with a Outdoorsman's adapter plate.  Great product.  I get the comments teaching your kids how to shoot freehand but things like these add a lot of stability and confidence for ethical shots with young shooters.  My oldest was a whole 65-70 pounds at 10 years old when she shot her AZ Antelope.  No way she could have held her rifle.  She's now 15 and has harvested 4 AZ big game animals and hopefully a 5th here in a couple weeks! 

https://aristotle-engineering.com/products/rifle-railz-gen-2-tripod-mount/

• Like 1

My son just turned 10 this month and his first Javelina hunt next weekend. We’ve been doing a lot of practice with the .22 as well. I had him practice shooting prone off my pack, with a bipod, and using the triclawps. He was pretty accurate using all three. I would suggest trying as many different shooting positions as you can and figure out what he’s most comfortable with. However, the triclawps does have a few more advantages over the other options I previously mentioned. You can shoot standing up or from a seated position easier, it also allows you to lock it in place making it easier to hold steady and acquire the target, and can help take some of the recoil out of the shot. 

Good luck and be patient! 
Cameron

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 7:49 PM, Saguaro said:

It’s not 1975 anymore…there’s tons of great options out there that are WAY more stable shooting platforms than the ones you listed.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

It’s not 1975 anymore…there’s tons of great options out there that are WAY more stable shooting platforms than the ones you listed.

Not to mention we are talking 10 year Olds in their first big game hunt. I'm more concerned with a clean shot than showing his level of marksmanship by shooting from an advanced, non-supported position. Hes not Hatchcock. 

• Like 5