Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

Decoy question

This spring will be my first year spring turkey hunting. I'm really excited and trying to get everything prepared. My wife got me avian hen and Jake decoy set for Christmas. They say they are Rio Grande and I'm wondering if that makes a difference for hunting here in AZ. These are pretty expensive decoys and I plan on using them for a long time. Should I replace them or does it even matter?

I'm no expert but I don't think it matters too much. I have shot Rio's in OK and Merriams and Goulds here and in MX. Avian makes top notch decoys.

• Like 1

Make sure you have your back to a tree .I had the 6a spring hunt a few years back and you never know what you can call in.Calling turkey and had a bear step out at 30 yds and closed  to 20 as I backed out .Remember  you sound  like food for most predators. 

• Like 4

I have had birds come into the fakest  looking decoys on the market... when the toms worked up, he doesnt care if she's ugly or a difference race.  Worry more about your decoy  placement.

• Like 4

They will definitely work, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

I have had birds come into the fakest  looking decoys on the market... when the toms worked up, he doesnt care if she's ugly or a difference race.  Worry more about your decoy  placement.

I've been reading a lot and watching videos on turkey hunting but can't say I've came across anything regarding placement of decoys. Do you care to explain what you mean? I appreciate the response.

2 hours ago, tyler1215 said:

I've been reading a lot and watching videos on turkey hunting but can't say I've came across anything regarding placement of decoys. Do you care to explain what you mean? I appreciate the response.

Put the sitting hen and the jake about 5' apart in a clear area so a Tom can see them.

• Like 2

If you can find the old primos DVD speak the language on turkeys, it does a great job explaining the calling. Also on PBS there's a show called "life as a turkey" that I highly recommend. About some guy hatching some eggs and raising turkey's.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, PRDATR said:

Put the sitting hen and the jake about 5' apart in a clear area so a Tom can see them.

This and I don't put mine more than 15 yards out in front of me.  Usually closer to 10 yards.  I've seen too many instances of decoys being placed 20+ yards out and toms getting hung up out of range if they don't like something in the decoys.  Toms usually (key word: usually) hang up 10 or so yards out if they don't like something.  Putting decoys at 10-15 yards keeps them in range if they get hung up.

And, no, the Rio decoys won't matter.  I got standard (Eastern looking) Avian-X decoys years ago and the Merriams out here and the Rios in Texas don't care that much, like others have said.

• Like 1

I watched ‘My Life As A Turkey’ tonight… (Found it on the internet from the BBC posted 7yr ago). It was entertaining for a 1hr viewing; kind of reminded me of the movie, My Octopus Teacher. So I’m not trying to ‘Siskel and Ebert’ this production, but I will say if you can watch it through and take away the Turkey vocals… you will be better prepared for cues to the Turkey presence within the woods. Good luck to all those seeking Tom’s this Spring. 🦃

• Like 2