Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Carbon fiber arrow / broadhead question

Seems like broadheads breaking off the top of the arrow in the animal is my normal.  Is this just a fact of life or do my arrows suck? Have had gold tips in the past and the current batch are maxima reds if I recall correctly.  I'm guessing it's just the nature of archery hunting where you poke an animal and they jerk when the arrow hits causing sheer force on the broadheads as it's traveling through.  Opinions welcome.  

Got 2 arrows left debating going same brand or just another round of fresh ones.  Got my new archery deer tag and lion tag. Feeling the itch...

Well a third option I guess is also poor shot placement. But it seems like even on good shots this happens to me...  But I sure can't lie, adrenaline happens in the field regardless of how practice shooting goes.  

I put two gold tips thru a javalina two years ago and the first shot at 10 feet  was a low pass thru.Then I was calling for my buddy  and he almost  got a shot but my pig figured  it was hit and ran taking all the rest with. After a tracking  job and another  arrow right thru the temple  and buried to the fetching  the little  bastard hit the dirt and broke the arrow  off.It does seem  that they break off in animals  tho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

I put two gold tips thru a javalina two years ago and the first shot at 10 feet  was a low pass thru.Then I was calling for my buddy  and he almost  got a shot but my pig figured  it was hit and ran taking all the rest with. After a tracking  job and another  arrow right thru the temple  and buried to the fetching  the little  bastard hit the dirt and broke the arrow  off.It does seem  that they break off in animals  tho.

Shot a pig perfectly broadside at like 40.  She was broadside when I let loose and never found the broadhead but the angle I shot wasn't how it showed on her once I got to her. When I cleaned the skull I found it angled right up into the side of the skull. It was the coolest pig euro you could ask for, went in right near the ear canal and the broadhead was still stuck in the skull. I regret giving that skull to an extended family member as a gift. 

• Wow! 1

Need to check the tune on your bow. Shoot a barshaft and see if the arrow is hitting at an angle. Had a few friends with this issue. Once we got the bows tuned this stopped happening. 

Also make sure the arrow spine is not too weak. A stiffer arrow will apply less side leverage on impacts and has a thicker wall. 

Easton and gold tip are very durable arrows. Carbon express is less durable in recent years, while easton improved durability. All are durable enough for pigs and deer. Heavy boned critters gold tip and recent easton are awesome. 

Victory and black eagle arrows are slightly less durable than gold tip and easton but better than carbon express.

Inserts and quality of glue can also matter. Longer inserts will spread out the shock of impact. Glue/epoxy needs to be a variety that's not brittle.  

• Like 2

I have never had something like this happen. I have shot the Easton axis for 15 years without issue on lots of critters. Shooting 62 pounds, 340 weight with 100 grain head.

• Like 2

Might have the wrong spine or bad tune on your bow. I bet your arrows are hitting at a slight angle or “springing” upon impact  causing the arrow to slap more than penetrate.

I’ve had it happen it before switched arrows and problem solved. I’ve had 4 pass throughs ( 2 elk and 2 deer) since changing arrow spine. 

• Like 1

Hmmm Yeah sounds like I need to tune it better. I do remember a couple flying a bit wonky. Thanks guys.   

My hunch would be tuning as well. I can't honestly remember having a broadhead break off from an arrow in the last ~10 years.

Could be the inserts though. I use Victory shoks that anchor relatively far down into the shaft as well as extend over the outside of the shaft for added impact protection.

My experience is sometimes they break in an animal, sometimes they don’t. Usually they don’t. I always figured it was from the movement of the animal breaking it after being hit, I’ve never seen one break on impact before the animal ran

Well shout out to crocket brothers archery down here in SV. Found out my arrows shoulda been 300 spine so I got a few.  Also realized I was tweaking the string a bit with my release and possibly putting a bit too much pressure on it when touching it to my shnozz.  So I upgraded my release.  Found a target buck and don't wanna blow it.  Got on him this am and just could not cut the distance in time.  Tomorrow, maybe.....

• Like 4

On 12/31/2022 at 8:47 PM, bowhunter4life said:

I have never had something like this happen. I have shot the Easton axis for 15 years without issue on lots of critters. Shooting 62 pounds, 340 weight with 100 grain head.

Same 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Well shout out to crocket brothers archery down here in SV. Found out my arrows shoulda been 300 spine so I got a few.  Also realized I was tweaking the string a bit with my release and possibly putting a bit too much pressure on it when touching it to my shnozz.  So I upgraded my release.  Found a target buck and don't wanna blow it.  Got on him this am and just could not cut the distance in time.  Tomorrow, maybe.....

It’s really easy to put extra pressure on the string trying to get a solid anchor…I catch myself doing that too. 

13 hours ago, bigorange said:

It’s really easy to put extra pressure on the string trying to get a solid anchor…I catch myself doing that too. 

True.  It doesn't seem to take much.  Spent break time today trying to find tune my sight with the new release.  Feeling good for the am.

Saw my target at first lite.  Positioned myself for the interception and he never showed up. Saw him tonight as well but too close to private. Saw another shooter I've not seen before. He's officially option #2.  Got an hour or so before work tomoro. See what happens...

• Like 4

20230127_185602.thumb.jpg.0c1f42712f471dc453b99f94e6e66c43.jpgA swing and a miss.  Thank God for lighted arrow nocks.  Was upset all day after not finding blood or my arrow. Went out tonight at dark and found it. Clean miss.

I got a consolation prize though, found one of his old sheds right close to where I shot at him.  He's much bigger now.