I am wanting to get a new or used pistol but have no knowledge about pistols. I want something that is smaller than a regular glock 9 mill I want something that is bigger than a 22 mag but light weight. I dont like the revolver type action, I prefer slide and magazine in the handle. I am going to use this as personal protection out in the woods so I want it lightweight but something that is not a huge caliber, I doubt that I will use it much in personal protection not alaska or anything big, so recreational shooting would be a nice bonus too. I am wanting to teach my wife to shoot it too. Any suggestions? What caliber and what brand? :huh:

Thanks.

(you said you don't want a revolver, so you can stop reading here if you like). I just got a Ruger SP101 .357... Its a little thing, 5 rounds, fits nicely on the hip, shoots straight. My thoughts are: if I can't hit him with the first 5 I'll probably be dead by then, .357 is big enough to drop a man, and revolvers are simple = less to break/jam/etc. I'd like another gun for fun, but this is the one I want for running around chasing deer with my bow and sitting on the ground rubbing the nose in the dirt while I'm glassing, my 'just in case' gun. T

Perhaps a .380??? That's probably the next step down from a 9mm. The problem is that many people believe that a 9mm is already under powered for personal defense situations. So why would you want to go even less than that?

I witnessed a guy get shot 4 times with a .380 in Baltimore Maryland. He still ran off. Finally he hid in fear of the shooters. When I approached the man and saw the bullet holes in his body I was really surprised! Pencil sized holes that pretty much closed up with very, very little blood. In fact there really wasn't even enough blood to stain his shirt.

I'm no doctor, and I'm no expert, but after seeing this first hand I decided to never buy a .380 for self defense. The guy takes four bullets at a distance of 6-8 feet between his nipples and belly button and doesn't even fall over and still has enough strength to run several hundred yards before hiding. That's not the type of performance I want from a gun which is supposed to save my life.

And by the way... yes the guy survived!

I agree with TAM. I think anything less than a 9mm is underpowered for self defense. Not only with stopping power, but with a 2 or 3" barrel, your ability to hit anything past a few yards decreases significantly. But, if you are stuck on smaller, there are a few pocket 380's out there. Check out a colt pony or an AMT DAO. I have both, I don't know why, I would not use them for self defense. Good luck sorting out the compromise.

Mark

Interesting topic. Of course, because there is no “perfect” all around gun, the real answer (and the fun) is found in owning a nice variety.

SBD has a good suggestion. A revolver is simple and reliable. Plus, with a .357 you can always plink with .38s for less recoil which might be a plus for the wifey.

TwoGuns has a good suggestion too. The Springfield XD9 (9mm) comes in a variety of barrel lengths and you can add cool stuff to it.

The XDs come stock with gun and magazine holsters and available high capacity magazines. I like the idea of his and hers XD9s with extra magazines so you can throw magazines to each other if you are ever “pinned down.” Granted, not every (okay, any) hiking trip will end up like a scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but it’s nice to have options.

Like everything in life, it’s about compromises (for the ultimate answer, see 1st paragraph). Barrel length increases accuracy but increases weight. Magazine capacity increase the amount of lead sent down range between reloads but also increases weight. Weight might not seem important in a gun showroom but means a lot after a day (or several) in the field.

There are places where you can shoot it before you buy it which I think is a good idea. Good Luck and let us know what you end up with!

Although you say that you don't like revolvers, I would still recommend that you look at .44 Special revolvers--specifically the Charter Arms Bulldog. It is a simple firearm that shoots a large caliber slug at low speeds and is controllable by anyone that can use a can opener. I bought one for my first wife years ago and she still uses it and shoots it well, despite only taking it out and shooting it a few times each year. My daughter brings it out every year when she comes to visit and I clean the lead out of the barrel and send it back. It will stop bears, lions and people if needed, and it is small and easy to pack in a purse, fanny pack or holster. Ammo is cheap and that will let you practice a lot, which is good. Buy a couple of speed loaders and learn to use them, and you won't miss the 15-round magazines...

I'm a revolver man and I'm with SilentButDeadly on this one. I also have a .357 and love it. Less things to go wrong with it and will shoot cheap 38 rounds for those times you just want to plink. They can be a bit heavier then an auto but I just love the versitility, especialy since I'm a poor college student.

When I can't carry my G30, I'll have a Kel-Tec P32 in my pocket. They're very lightweight (in .32ACP of course) and accurate. I wouldn't use it as a primary defense weapon, but it's a nice backup. It's better than nothing at all...

-WRM

The one I bought my wife is a Baretta Tomcat. It's only a 32 ACP, but I think it's ideal for women because you don't have to work the slide to chamber a round. The barrel flips up and you can just drop the first round in and snap it shut. We looked at a Bersa .380 and a PPK but her hands were not strong enough to easily work the slide. And while nobody is going to claim that a .32 is an "ideal" personal defense round, there are some very good loads by Hornady and others that give it a serious punch.

The Tomcat is also nice because it fits right in your pocket (or purse).

post-478-1228231783.jpg

The one I bought my wife is a Baretta Tomcat. It's only a 32 ACP, but I think it's ideal for women because you don't have to work the slide to chamber a round. The barrel flips up and you can just drop the first round in and snap it shut. We looked at a Bersa .380 and a PPK but her hands were not strong enough to easily work the slide. And while nobody is going to claim that a .32 is an "ideal" personal defense round, there are some very good loads by Hornady and others that give it a serious punch.

The Tomcat is also nice because it fits right in your pocket (or purse).

post-478-1228231783.jpg

Just like hunting I think the ideal personal defense round is the one you shoot the best and feel the most comfortable with. Especially when it comes to women.

I just took my wife out this past weekend to shoot her new Glock 27 in .40 cal and found out it's too much gun for her to handle. She shot my G19 in 9mm much better! There is no point in packing heat if you can't make the shot. I'm really bummed out by this because now I'm going to have to buy her a new Glock 26 in 9mm and keep the G27 for myself. Don't worry... I'm sure I'll get over it.