Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Jonathan

Stinging and Biting Critters

When I began to tell people that I was moving to Arizona, I was repeatedly made aware of the apparently disproportionately large population of scorpions and rattlesnakes that inhabit this state. Now six months later and plenty of miles on the boots, I've come across ZERO of the infamous creepers. Is this just a false generalization people like to make about the state? I've caught my fair share of rattlers and scorpions in Nevada, I just think its funny the hype Arizona gets over these guys. Anyone have any close calls while hunting? Stalking in your socks and nearly step on a rattler?

those critters are there. just look a little harder and you will find some. try kicking over a few rocks and you will be surprised at how many scopions you will find. I usaully don't run into many rattlers.

Reminds me of all the brown tree snakes they said I would find on Guam.

Granted, there are more scorpions and snakes here than I think you believe.

I killed 125 scorpions in my parents backyard one night hunting with a black light.

115 the next night too. :blink:

i nearly stepped on a 4-5' rattler sunning himself with his head in a bush only two weeks ago while scouting in 33. I'd figured they'd all gone underground, and just carelessly went walking up the hill.

The snakes are generally good at getting out of your way and hiding. This time of year they're burrowed up or in caves (sometimes in HUGE numbers). The scorps - well, depends on where you live, but take a black light outside at night in the summer time. You'll probably be a little freaked out at first ;).

oh - they are there. I have had close encounters each of the last 3 years.

this year it was with a buddy on an archery antelope hunt.

last year it was on my oct rifle coues hunt.

2 years ago it was on a coues scouting trip in sept or oct.

I hate snakes.

my mom and dad have had 2 in their garage in the last couple of months.

They are out there. I had one right between my legs quail hunting in Oct. Some people though are snake magnets. They seem to always come across snakes when they are out.

i nearly stepped on a 4-5' rattler sunning himself with his head in a bush only two weeks ago while scouting in 33. I'd figured they'd all gone underground, and just carelessly went walking up the hill.

Now was that your first or second snake of the year? :ph34r:

a coworker had one crawling through the grass toward her Tuesday just north of Sonoita. :D

They are neat little creatures, and you will run across one one day but, whats the rush, after all they are deadly(rattlers at least). That being said I have come across 5 rattlers in the wild(im 22). Even though you havnt seen any, take a guess at how many you walked right by without even knowing. O yeah, and they can swim too.