Dad and I decided to skip out on the family tradition of Thanksgiving at my grandparents. ( I think they forgive me). We had a awesome turkey dinner in camp that dad cooked in the Dutch Oven….

deertday2008007.jpg

Opening morning had my buddy Matt Obertin and I sitting high on a hill looking for some bucks we had seen in scouting. They didn’t show, and we didn’t see any head gear at all… Of course, this view didn’t help us at all!

deertday2008013.jpg

Saturday morning found us heading out a little late. When we were almost at our hill, I saw two deer running across a hill. I glass the rest of the hill and see another deer. Out comes the tripod and the Leicas. I find the deer, and watch it walk over to some think Manzanitas. I am looking in there and see a giant rack look to the left, then to the right. Buck fever doesn’t take long to set in! I get set up, waiting for this buck to clear the brush at 400 yards. The spike steps out into the open and stands there for 10 minuts. The 100” buck never clears the brush. We sit on those bucks(100+, mid 80’s and a spike) all day. The mid 80’s buck stands up, turns around and lays back down in a way that we can shoot at him. Fred (moms boss, killed the 12 minute buck last year) gets set up on him and squeezes a shot off on him. He misses by an honest 20 feet TWICE. We figure out that it is the branch he is set up on.

The next morning we are headed back to our intended hill (on time this time). We get set up and immediately start seeing deer. We glass up a neat looking buck on a Shin Dagger covered hill. I tell dad to go set up for a shot. Matt and my dad head over to a pile of rocks while I watch. Shortly after, a cloud of dust appears JUST over the back of the buck. Two more shots are fired, they are CLOSE but none connect.

deertday2008016.jpg

Fast forward to the final morning of the hunt… Matt and I were frustrated (we hadn’t seen any bucks in two days) but we were both confident that the buck my dad shot at would be back on the same hill/area that he was on. As soon as it is light enough to see, I glass him coming up out of the bottom of a cut. We wait for about 5 minutes for it to get a little more light out. As soon as we agree on the light, I climb behind my gun, lay prone and out my earplug in. He is at 571 yards. First shot drills him. He hunches up and runs 10 yards and stands there. I shoot two more shots to try and plant him and none of them connect. He lays down and actually lays his head on the ground and we both think he is dead but we watch him for about 5 minutes. He tries to stand up, but pretty much flops over and lays there and dies.

Matt and I expected to see a gut shot buck, but much to our surprise, I hit him just about perfect. Could have been 2-4 inches towards the shoulder, but still caught the back of his lungs.

This was a great hunt. We all had our shots, and had a fantastic time with a new friend, and a friend we have known forever!

deertday2008062.jpg

deertday2008046.jpg

deertday2008044.jpg

deertday2008065.jpg

deertday2008066.jpg

Here is the shot:

deertday2008037.jpg

El Chupacabra and the fruits of her labor!

deertday2008042.jpg

Awesome buck dude. I LIKE IT! Real happy for you.

Congratulations

Bob

ps. now let the antler intact jokes begin.

Welcome to the VLD club! Congrats on a nice buck.

So did you miss his skull plate or what?

Didn't him in the antlers at all! BUT, one of the "finishing shots" did go through his antlers like a dang field goal! Mat scared the crap out of me when he said I almost hit in him the head!

Tim, he didn't bleed a drop in the 10 yards that he went...

So I guess there was no exit? What did the inside of his chest look like?