Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

Cinco de Mayo Gould’s- 4 bearded tom

Yesterday morning I got set up 90 yards from a roost tree well before sunrise. The gobblers were on fire but had a ton of hens so they didn’t fly down to my decoys or in my direction. 20-30 minutes after fly down with nothing wanting to come in, I circled around to try and get in front of them. The flock had switched directions and was now going back towards where I was first set up. I hightailed it to get in front of them again and gave a few soft clucks. Before too long, the big multi bearded tom I’d seen the night before and last weekend was in full strut with his hens coming in. I waited until he was out of strut and shot him at about 10 yards. After some pics my friends and I were back to camp for carne asada tacos by 7:30. The bird weighed 22 pounds, both spurs are 7/8”, and the longest beard is 10 1/2”

04875735-9B68-4918-B2D9-1AA12380E95E.jpeg

26FBC680-B428-4A28-85DF-1DDF7437B9CD.jpeg

D6FAC025-DA97-4389-8E6F-EF09D1F81CC6.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Wow! 2

beautiful bird and way to go getting it done. Isn't it rare for four beards. I've heard of two or three, but not four.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ronk said:

beautiful bird and way to go getting it done. Isn't it rare for four beards. I've heard of two or three, but not four.

Thank you. Yes, from what I kind find, this should be the biggest Gould’s killed in AZ according to NWTF and SCI scoring systems. The first three NWTF entries in the US have 3 beards

• Like 1

16 hours ago, backcountry_brad said:

Thank you. Yes, from what I kind find, this should be the biggest Gould’s killed in AZ according to NWTF and SCI scoring systems. The first three NWTF entries in the US have 3 beards

Dude congrats if you need help on a mount hit me up!

• Like 2

Congratulations!

The smile says it all.

I had never seen a 4-bearded turkey before.

• Like 1

That's a SUPER cool tom. Congrats. I'm guessing you're going to do a fully body mount. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coach said:

That's a SUPER cool tom. Congrats. I'm guessing you're going to do a fully body mount. 

Thank you! Yep, dropped him off at the taxidermist this morning 

• Like 1

With elk season over, I moved over to the Turkey thread to build anticipation for Spring 2024 with my son and got a look at this 4 beard. That is Bad A**!!! And at 10yrs!!! Nice sharing, with pics. I’m excited for another Turkey season. 

• Like 1