Sign in to follow this  

Bear Attack

Yikes.  I’ve always sorta assumed black bears to be generally not too dangerous. (Everyone I’ve ever seen has basically hightailed it the other direction…).

I’ll be curious about the circumstances.   

My birddog became a ‘bear dog’ last weekend at Christmas Tree lake! 😭

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stanley said:

My birddog became a ‘bear dog’ last weekend at Christmas Tree lake! 😭

IMG_2937.mov

How was the fishing? With the new Christmas tree regulations about immediately releasing any Apache trout caught I am thinking they are still having issues with apache trout at their hatchery and probably haven't stoked any fish there in a couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

How was the fishing? With the new Christmas tree regulations about immediately releasing any Apache trout caught I am thinking they are still having issues with apache trout at their hatchery and probably haven't stoked any fish there in a couple of years. 

I was there with a big group.  Depending on individual angler skill, fishing was fair-good off & on throughout the day (I think a couple of novices got skunked...).  Copper Johns, black & olive bead head Woolly Buggers, small hoppers and ants all caught fish at various points.  We were there the same weekend last year and fishing seemed basically on par with a year ago.  Fish seemed fairly healthy.

We fished Big Lake on Friday morning and the fly fishing was fairly slow there before the wind chased us off the lake.  One of our crew rented a boat and caught a few nice ones trolling and throwing lures.

A buddy caught a VERY nice brown at Earl Park on Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I was there with a big group.  Depending on individual angler skill, fishing was fair-good off & on throughout the day (I think a couple of novices got skunked...).  Copper Johns, black & olive bead head Woolly Buggers, small hoppers and ants all caught fish at various points.  We were there the same weekend last year and fishing seemed basically on par with a year ago.  Fish seemed fairly healthy.

What was average fish size for those who caught? Were they mostly Apaches or Browns?

23 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

What was average fish size for those who caught? Were they mostly Apaches or Browns?

At Christmas Tree, we caught ALL Apaches.   Virtually all in 16-18 inch range (One guy caught a really nice one that was just at 24 inches.).   They were all fairly healthy.  Not really big/fat football type, but none were super skinny either.   Seemed typical to me, based on my visits there in recent years.

1 hour ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

My neck of the woods. Eye opening.

Typical bubbleheaded news mongers. That was about 90 seconds too long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Got the bubbleheaded brunette comes on at 5

Can tell ya about the bear attack with a gleam her eye

It's interesting when people die...

P.S. And the HS says carry bear spray when in bear country.  No mention of carrying a fireman because, you know, that would not be humane to the bear.

Eddie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Anyway:

An Arizona man was mauled to death by a bear in an unprovoked, random attack on his property Friday morning, authorities said.

Tucson resident Steven Jackson, 66, was found dead next to the black bear in Groom Creek, the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. Jackson was outside drinking coffee on his property where he was building a home, when the animal began attacking him shortly before 8 a.m. local time.

"It appears that a male black bear attacked Mr. Jackson, taking him unaware, and dragged him approximately 75 feet down an embankment," the sheriff's office described.

After hearing Jackson's screams, neighbors attempting to deter the bear by shouting and honking their car horns, but the animal did not relent.

Bear attack crime scene

A neighbor then retrieved his rifle and shot the bear, killing it.

"Unfortunately, by that time Mr. Jackson has succumbed to his horrible injuries," the sheriff's office's press release said.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department told authorities that the incident was highly unusual, with a similar incident happening in the mid-1980s. Officials are dumbstruck because there was nothing on site that would have necessarily attracted the bear.

At first glance, there did not appear to be anything on the site that would have precipitated a[n] attack by the bear, such as food, a cooking site or access to water," the sheriff's office said.

Arizona Game and Fish Department officials believe the bear's aggression was a "predatory response", but they are unsure what caused it.

"Our sincere sympathies go out to Mr. Jackson’s family" Sheriff David Rhodes said in a statement. "I cannot express how deeply sad this situation is and can only say our prayers are with you."

Bear body near attack scene

Yavapai County Sheriff's Office is actively investigating the incident. Officials ask residents to not shoot bears unless they detect an imminent threat.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/unprovoked-arizona-bear-mauls-kills-man-drinking-morning-coffee-police

• Wow! 1

3 hours ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

My neck of the woods. Eye opening.

Yup I was at Groom Creek Monday.  Always hear of pesky bears there specially in the summertime.  

They just killed 4 lions a few weeks ago up here. Wondering if predators are smelling all the vegetarians that have moved here. I'm just glad it was not someone's kids since that area is close to lakes and summer camps. 

• Haha 2