Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Bow Draw Length?

Hi All,

I am contemplating getting a bow to take a shot at starting to bow hunt for OTC deer this year since I can't seem to get a tag. I am 6'3" with a broad chest and 78" wingspan give or take. 

I saw a rough formula online that said my draw length would be about 31.5".

This seems to be at the ragged edge or just over the max length for normal bows. Do I need to get a longer bow? I would prefer to not spend all the extra money it seems like the longer draw length bows cost? 

Any recommendations on a good used bow or entry level bow that might work? 

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't be overly concerned shooting a 29 or 30'.  Having just a bit of slack might save your forearm a bit from the occasional smack.  You just don't want so much slack that you're arm holding the bow is not forward enough to feel locked. But you need a good anchor point for your release.  Maybe try pulling a buddy's bow and see how it feels 

I would go to Ross and get yourself measured. The owner is a great bow tech and you need your bow properly turned.

• Like 3

I’m your size and shoot 31”. Best best is to draw bows and find out,you definitely want it to be right. I shot 30” for several years and when I actually bought one that fit me it was so much more comfortable and my anchor point much more consistent 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Hi All,

I am contemplating getting a bow to take a shot at starting to bow hunt for OTC deer this year since I can't seem to get a tag. I am 6'3" with a broad chest and 78" wingspan give or take. 

I saw a rough formula online that said my draw length would be about 31.5".

This seems to be at the ragged edge or just over the max length for normal bows. Do I need to get a longer bow? I would prefer to not spend all the extra money it seems like the longer draw length bows cost? 

Any recommendations on a good used bow or entry level bow that might work? 

Your in the same  boat I was in a few years  back. Long draw bows are hard to find in most archery  shops.  They usually  don't  carry  any because  they don't  sell enough.  I called around  and just about  every  archery  shop could  get one but you had to pay first . With out trying  a bow out I didn't  want to pony up the cost . What makes it harder is with the extra  length  I also needed new arrows because  my old were under spined. The only place I found  was bear mtn  off the 60 and stapley.  Ed the owner shoots long draw and I was able to shoot  his personal  bow and that helped  me out . Not quite  what I bought but I did have a good start . I just didn't  like the 6 inch brace height  on his so I got the same bow in a 7 . My draw is 32and a quarter.  Good luck with  your search 😊 

• Like 1

As already said, you need to go to a bow shop, and they can help you.  Once you find your correct draw length, reach out and see if anyone has a newer (5 years or less) bow they want to sell with the same draw length.  I have been shooting a bow since 1978 and I always tell everyone to bargain hunt for their first bow because you never know if you will stick with it.  If you like it and want to continue, then shop for better stuff.  Bows depreciate faster than a new car, so it is possible to get fairly new equipment at a real bargain.  Just like a new golfer, I would recommend paying for a couple private lessons too.  This cuts the learning curve way down and prevents you from developing any bad habits.  check out Bowsite.com  classifieds.  Good Luck and welcome to the brotherhood!

• Like 3