Sign in to follow this  
Simple Hunter

Lion Down

Deer hunt is not going so well - but I took this meat eater at around 9AM today. The storm was approaching and the deer I was watching had bedded down - just a couple of small bucks but I figured I'd keep an eye on them. I went down to a rock outcropping to sit and set up my tripod and out of my left eye I see two felines to my left and they stop on top of the same ridge but on the next point not more than 50 yards away. Of course like an idiot I left my pack and rifle about 20 yards up the hill from me.

There were two cats one was bigger than the other and I decided to hone in on him with my binocs, he looked right back at me - in fact it seemed he knew I was there. but I was able to crawl back up hill and grab my rifle and crawl back down to where I had a opening in the brush. He was facing me lying down so I barely had any of his side to shoot at. I didn't want to ruin him and hit him in the head so I waited for about 5 minutes and he turned his head to the left and made me more secure about the shot. The shot went through the front quarter and out the back knee without hitting any vitals and it spun him in the air. While I know that its not smart to approach a wounded animal - I couldn't let him suffer. I quickly moved towards him to where I could get a clear shot without any brush and literally about 10 yards away I put him down for good.

Taxidermist says he's pretty good size - I estimate, since I packed him out over my shoulders, that he was significantly heavier than a mature coues - probably around 120 lbs. Pics are the best I could do by myself - he actually has a huge head, but my noggin makes it look small :D

His girlfriend lives on...

post-2231-1229295545_thumb.jpgpost-2231-1229295571_thumb.jpg

In my book, a lion is a far more worthy trophy than any deer, no matter the size of the antlers that deer might wear. Congratulations.

Bill Quimby

Great looking lion and a big slap on the back for ya. I bet the excitement was pretty intense. Congrats. and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

That is awesome!

Just another example of why my rifle is NEVER more than 6 feet away! I am willing to bet yours will stay close from now on as well!

That is awesome, stuff like that makes the deer hunt great even if you dont see a shooter buck!! I would love to take a lion without dogs(or with for that matter, just a lion period!!) AG