Sign in to follow this  
Jimmer Negamanee

Sheep shed?

I found this probably 15 years ago while quail hunting. It was laying in the middle of a wash so I figure it washed down from the mountains. I always thought sheep, having horns, did not shed but this one is just as I found it. You can see it's hollow. Maybe it was from a dead ram or maybe the outside kind of horn kind of sloughed off? I don't know. Any thoughts?

post-2483-1230005040_thumb.jpg

post-2483-1230005203_thumb.jpg

You are correct, sheep do not shed their horns. But they are hollow sheaths that fit over a bony core. When the animal dies, eventually that sheath falls off. Cool find!!!!

Amanda

The horns have to be removed from a ram and the pedicles and skull boiled prior to mounting the trophy. Nothing quite like the look on a guys face when you slam his trophy on the concrete to pop the horns loose!!! :lol: :P ;)

The horns have to be removed from a ram and the pedicles and skull boiled prior to mounting the trophy. Nothing quite like the look on a guys face when you slam his trophy on the concrete to pop the horns loose!!! :lol: :P ;)

:lol: I know what you mean.

I hate it when a customer wants to watch me install a 5th wheel hitch

in his brand new pride and joy pickup truck.

I can usually get them to leave by saying:

Are you sure you want to watch me put 13 holes in this bed? :P

Sweet find.

Glad I don't live in Sheep country but would be nice to go out and look for pickups.

That is fricken awesome! I'm always on the lookout for old sheep horns (they can persist on the landscape for years). I can't wait till I find my first one!

Lucky dog!!! I bet the skull and other horn were not far away, maybe upstream in the same wash! One of these days I hope to find one myself! JIM>

That is awesome. I found ancient one this spring attached to part of the old skull, if it was as nice as yours i woulda hauled it out.

post-3-1230093161_thumb.jpg

Never thought of incorporating it into a mount but your right! Maybe next time I'm in there I'll see if I can find it again.

Congrats on the horn.

That would look great in a glass viewing box with a couple of qual.

Nice find and congrats. Would be great to find one myself. A friend found one at Cataract last summer.