Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Sandhill Info, Guide, Direction?

My son, my best buddy, and I drew sandhill tags for one of the 30a,30b, etc hunt. I am told a guide is a huge help, but I have tried reaching out to several guides, and they are either no guiding anymore, won't call me back, or don't have availability. 

If I have to go at this DIY, what do I need? A blind and some decoys I assume. What else? 

Do you have any guide recommendations that are not crazy expensive? I already rented an Air BnB, and will take care of my own food and such. 

Thoughts? 

We have the 11/25-27 hunt.

I got the 12-3.  I think my boys got the pig tags that same time over there maybe we will cross paths.  I wouldn't worry a whole heck of a lot as far as places.  Last I remember the big dairy let's people hunt there.  But I'm sure a few pms will put you in a good spot.  

14 hours ago, HyNoon said:

Hi Lo is the way to go if you go guided. Give Nash a call. 

He won't call me or my buddy back. We have both left messages. 

I’ve shot hundreds of cranes, while decoying is fun, I would say 80% of mine have been shot pass shooting.  Go out a morning early and watch where they come off the roost at and where they go feed first thing in the am.  Then find a spot preferably 1/2 mile out from the roost that’s got good cover and hang out there at daylight the next morning.  Don’t really need a blind if there’s some brush, fence lines etc.   Just spread out and lay super still and make sure they are directly over you when you shoot.  If a flock slides by on the side don’t be tempted.  They look way bigger from the side and are always further than they appear.  You can kill a crane at 70-80 yards with high velocity steel 2’s or BB’s if they’re right over the top of you.  They are one of the easiest birds to kill.  

• Like 1

I have questions as well.  I am the worst bird hunter ever.   Are sandhill crane now considered a big game species?  I have unit 28, Should I focus on the north half or south half of the unit?  

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

I have questions as well.  I am the worst bird hunter ever.   Are sandhill crane now considered a big game species?  I have unit 28, Should I focus on the north half or south half of the unit?  

I believe if they issue a tag for the species it's considered big game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, idgaf said:

I could be wrong but looking at the unit boundaries you need to be down in the low fields of the safford area.  Over the years I've only seen cranes flying over the flat low valleys of double adobe, up through elfrida, Kansas settlement and Wilcox areas.  Makes me think that safford, Solomon and ft Thomas are the only real options you got.

Also maybe around Duncan maybe.  Hatchet jack and pseaz may be able to offer help.  

3 hours ago, idgaf said:

Can’t message you. I’ll try to find your number, I know I have it somewhere.

17 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Can’t message you. I’ll try to find your number, I know I have it somewhere.

I cleaned up my inbox. You would be surprised how many people want my opinion on bison, 4b antelope,  and otc elk. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I could be wrong but looking at the unit boundaries you need to be down in the low fields of the safford area.  Over the years I've only seen cranes flying over the flat low valleys of double adobe, up through elfrida, Kansas settlement and Wilcox areas.  Makes me think that safford, Solomon and ft Thomas are the only real options you got.

I think I've seen some in a residential cotton field in Pima once.  Honestly, I don't know the difference between them and blue herrings. 

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

I think I've seen some in a residential cotton field in Pima once.  Honestly, I don't know the difference between them and blue herrings. 

Herring's have scales. ;)

• Like 1