Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Otc elk. My first rifle elk.

56 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I didn’t know there was a problem with silvertips

In today's hunting world you have to put ballistic  in front of silvertip to make it acceptable. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, idgaf said:

In today's hunting world you have to put ballistic  in front of silvertip to make it acceptable. 

Any sharp pointy bullet and it probably wouldn't have been questioned. Congrats!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jdown said:

exactly what I’m saying and I’m not going to get into a d1fk measuring contest but for make a point - I bow hunt too  

I’ve killed 7 elk with a bow, 3 deer and I think 13 javelina now but all with what I would consider the best broadhead I can use - not something that im concerned won’t get penetration. I don’t buy cheap heads or use the garbage I used 35-40 years ago (old thunderheads or rocky razors) because there is better stuff out today that  is more humane and will perform better for me and I feel will have a better chance at putting the animal down as quickly as possible.  

I hate long range rifle hunting and have my limit set at 500 but have killed several mule and coues within 200 and many with a 100yrds - but again with the best bullet/caliber combination I can muster for that hunt.  

that’s was my point is all  - it’s hard enough to get tag and get an animal in position and we owe to the animals to make it count the best we can when we harvest   Doesn’t make sense to make it harder for you or on the animal just to say you went old school  - in my humble opinion and certainly someone getting excited about pumping rounds into something  - not cool  

What are the best broad heads to use?  Are the new thunderheads good ? 

Lots of good ones these days and hard to go wrong with anything out there that shoots good for you. I always keep in mind not to over due cutting diameter thinking I’ll get better penetration and flight.  And I like steel vs alloy for bigger animals. But just me. 

2 hours ago, idgaf said:

Oh wait dang, mine are ballistic silvertips 

So traditional  black power is unethical too then. One shot make it count. I don't see what the big deal is. If I had to choose between his 30/30 with 150 to 170 grain bullet, archery or black Powder I would pick that 30/30 all day long.