Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Otc elk. My first rifle elk.

10 hours ago, latinheat said:

Congratulations sir! I'm curious what ammunition you used? Bullet type and weight?

Since I was going old school with the rifle, I went old school with ammo.  150 grain Winchester silver tips. 

16932276108677643301432393044382.thumb.jpg.4a17a5716361698e50f7e0e91ec6acf1.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, idgaf said:

Since I was going old school with the rifle, I went old school with ammo.  150 grain Winchester silver tips. 

16932276108677643301432393044382.thumb.jpg.4a17a5716361698e50f7e0e91ec6acf1.jpg

Good Stuff. I think I have a few lying around somewhere.

• Like 1

That’s awesome—congratulations on your success! I’m sure it was a HOT day but way to get it done. How many rounds did you end up pumping into him with the 30-30?

Nothing like pumping rounds into an animal to put him down... next year let's go with FMJ or dart guns - that's good for the animal

Congrats on the elk but sorry - don't get the fascination not to put something down as humanly and with the best possible projectile available  - to each his own I guess. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jdown said:

Nothing like pumping rounds into an animal to put him down... next year let's go with FMJ or dart guns - that's good for the animal

Congrats on the elk but sorry - don't get the fascination not to put something down as humanly and with the best possible projectile available  - to each his own I guess. 

You obviously haven't killed very many animals. The last two years I have been part of 10 successful elk hunts and everyone of them had varying degrees of desire to live. This one was very tough. . 

Do you really think for a second my intent wasn't to humanly dispatch the animal?  That's why I was shooting. My first two shots would have been fatal but I wanted to humanly dispatch the animal. 

And while you irritated me enough to go on a rant. I don't think your form of hunting is ethical. Shooting an animal at a distance where he can't use is defenses is not hunting. 

• Like 3

Oh good lord. I’ve hunted my whole life and have killed many animals. My point was why use 150gr round nose what ever and then the comment before - how many rounds you pump into him…. Obviously you don’t get my point. I’ve wounded animals over the years, butt shot one or two I’m sure animals etc etc.  Far from a perfect record especially growing up - Just don’t get the desire to shoot a ‘primitive’ bullet for the sake of doing it.  Give yourself and the animal the best shot because things happen. Again didn’t mean to offend or get high and mighty and. It is not a personal attack- I don’t get the attitude of how many rounds you pump into him…. That’s all.  Again - congrats - OTC is a real deal.  

43 minutes ago, jdown said:

Oh good lord. I’ve hunted my whole life and have killed many animals. My point was why use 150gr round nose what ever and then the comment before - how many rounds you pump into him…. Obviously you don’t get my point. I’ve wounded animals. butt shot one or two I’m sure animals etc etc.  Far from perfect record  Just don’t get the desire to shoot a ‘primitive’ bullet for the sake of doing it.  Give yourself and the animal the best shot because things happen. Again didn’t mean to offend or get high and mighty and. It a personal attack- I don’t get the attitude of how many rounds you pump into him…. That’s all.

Can't agree with you here.   Sometimes it takes more to finish them off.  Even when shot placement is on point.  Even if first shot is a kill why not finish them off sooner? Lots of double lung animals take time to expire. Even if he was using top of the line ammo out of the same weapon the end result could have been exactly the same.  

Great point and been there too. Again the pumping rounds into him and I guess I would rather go out with the best equipment I have for my sake and animal vs silver tips/ corelokts/ power points etc and I know the op has equipment. That was my only point. And you right. We have mostly all been there and things happen even with better bullets so why handicap yourself for the sake of ?  Not sure what. And again just an opinion and again congrats to the op. Nice accomplishment on any otc hunt. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jdown said:

Great point and been there too. Again the pumping rounds into him and I guess I would rather go out with the best equipment I have for my sake and animal vs silver tips/ corelokts/ power points etc and I know the op has equipment. That was my only point. And you right. We have mostly all been there and things happen even with better bullets so why handicap yourself for the sake of ?  Not sure what. And again just an opinion and again congrats to the op. Nice accomplishment on any otc hunt. 

I do hear what you are saying... We owe respect to the animals we hunt (essentially). At least I think that is your point. And yes I actually agree.  Therefore we should use best case scenario weaponry for an ethical kill.  But, as a bow hunter at heart Im torn. Just because more lethal options are available I still prefer my way. Am I wrong?

exactly what I’m saying and I’m not going to get into a d1fk measuring contest but for make a point - I bow hunt too  

I’ve killed 7 elk with a bow, 3 deer and I think 13 javelina now but all with what I would consider the best broadhead I can use - not something that im concerned won’t get penetration. I don’t buy cheap heads or use the garbage I used 35-40 years ago (old thunderheads or rocky razors) because there is better stuff out today that  is more humane and will perform better for me and I feel will have a better chance at putting the animal down as quickly as possible.  

I hate long range rifle hunting and have my limit set at 500 but have killed several mule and coues within 200 and many with a 100yrds - but again with the best bullet/caliber combination I can muster for that hunt.  

that’s was my point is all  - it’s hard enough to get tag and get an animal in position and we owe to the animals to make it count the best we can when we harvest   Doesn’t make sense to make it harder for you or on the animal just to say you went old school  - in my humble opinion and certainly someone getting excited about pumping rounds into something  - not cool  

1 hour ago, jdown said:

So under you logic everyone that uses a lever action from 1880 to the 1980 has done it wrong.  Sometimes you just run into a tough animal and this was the case.  I think I hit him six times including the two ending shots. The first two would have definitely been fatal if I wanted to wait the traditional 30 minutes and start tracking.  It was too hot to do that. 

Also under your logic I would be way out of bounds this archery season, I'm using a 45 lb 60 year old recurve simple because I want the challenge.  If I were using my standard compound I would have filled my turkey tag this evening.  But 23 yards was at the edge of my range with a recurve.  I am also going to new mexico next month and using a 54 cal percussion muzzleloader with round balls. 

You really don't want to get measuring contest with me. I have tagged 29 big game animals with my bow, including  three archery antelope.  Maybe another 10 or 12 with rifle or muzzleloader.  9 of 10 of the big 10 (8 archery) all solo.  Guess what with modern ammo my bison took 4 perfectly placed rounds.  It's not the ammo as much as placement as sometimes you just run into a tough animal. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:52 AM, idgaf said:

Story to follow,  I'm still packing out

20230722_074002.thumb.jpg.a4a999a1c4e1c4cf6c3684f9e7ba202a.jpg

Looks like a near perfect mushroom to me.  30-30 has successfully taken large game for a 100 years.

31 minutes ago, idgaf said:

So under you logic everyone that uses a lever action from 1880 to the 1980 has done it wrong.  Sometimes you just run into a tough animal and this was the case.  I think I hit him six times including the two ending shots. The first two would have definitely been fatal if I wanted to wait the traditional 30 minutes and start tracking.  It was too hot to do that. 

Also under your logic I would be way out of bounds this archery season, I'm using a 45 lb 60 year old recurve simple because I want the challenge.  If I were using my standard compound I would have filled my turkey tag this evening.  But 23 yards was at the edge of my range with a recurve.  I am also going to new mexico next month and using a 54 cal percussion muzzleloader with round balls. 

You really don't want to get measuring contest with me. I have tagged 29 big game animals with my bow, including  three archery antelope.  Maybe another 10 or 12 with rifle or muzzleloader.  9 of 10 of the big 10 (8 archery) all solo.  Guess what with modern ammo my bison took 4 perfectly placed rounds.  It's not the ammo as much as placement as sometimes you just run into a tough animal. 

Good luck on the season. Sounds like some fun hunts.