codyhuntsaz

Hunting with contact lenses

I’m a long time glasses wearer and had Lasik eye surgery that lasted until I hit 40 and then my eyes started to deteriorate to the point where I need glasses again. I’m toying around with the idea of Contacts and have somewhat gotten used to them with a couple trial pairs. I’m wondering how hunting goes with contact lenses? Does it have any effect on glassing, I hate glassing with glasses on. Also, thinking about quad rides and side-by-side rides, does the wind in your face or dust become an issue with contact lenses? Maybe you could wear goggles or something like that? I’m sure there are tips and tricks that would help. I’m also worried about in the heat of the moment having an issue with the contact lens. What are some pros and cons or things you guys have noticed when hunting with contacts compared to glasses? 

I always carry a small bottle of saline solution in my pack. Glassing has never seemed to bother my eyes/contacts even for long periods of time. The worst part is the dust when going to and from in a side by side, quad etc.

• Like 2

1) wearing dailies helps, less fuss in field compared to soft biweekly lenses. (no cleaning)

2) use truck or sxs mirror side to put them on in the morning

3) wash hands very well; keep soap with you because an infection is no bueno in the field

4) both saline + lubricating eye drops with you at all times. Especially the latter when glassing for long time because you forget to blink

5) eye pro like sunglasses or clear safety glasses on sxs. I use milwaukee clear safeties

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HNTNGUY said:

I always carry a small bottle of saline solution in my pack. Glassing has never seemed to bother my eyes/contacts even for long periods of time. The worst part is the dust when going to and from in a side by side, quad etc.

That’s why I was thinking of the ski goggles or something like that. 

1 minute ago, andyyy said:

1) wearing dailies helps, less fuss in field compared to soft biweekly lenses. (no cleaning)

3) wash hands very well; keep soap with you because an infection is no bueno in the field

4) both saline + lubricating eye drops with you at all times. Especially the latter when glassing for long time because you forget to blink

Thanks for the tips…daily’s are what I was prescribed. 

Everything said above. The only thing I can add is a few extra pairs in your pack. Just in case.

• Like 2

Same as others have said…I think glassing is easier with contacts but my eyes get irritated/dry after a long day glassing, especially if it’s windy (wife and kids laugh at me coming home with red eyes “sure you were out hunting all day” LoL) I keep rewetting drops and also Opcon to use after I take contacts out to help the irritation. I prefer that over Visine and others. Agree 100% on the hand washing too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mocha1545 said:

Everything said above. The only thing I can add is a few extra pairs in your pack. Just in case.

+10 I always carry extras…and also rotate them. I had an extra get a tiny hole in the package and dried out without me noticing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, andyyy said:

5) eye pro like sunglasses or clear safety glasses on sxs. I use milwaukee clear safeties

This right here. 1,000%.  Had the same mindset and habits when I wore contacts as a wildland firefighter.  I just woke up a little earlier to get them in and get moving.  Also had an eye doc up hre in Flag that got me in the ones I could wear for a few days in a row, including sleeping in them.  Woke up, put in some wetting drops and was good to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titanium700 said:

Get lasik again?

I have thought about that too. I’ll have to get a consult and see if it can be a long term fix. The first time it lasted about 15 years. The dr said at 40 it would start to go and he was dead on. Not even sure what it cost now a day, was around $2500 back then. 

12 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I have thought about that too. I’ll have to get a consult and see if it can be a long term fix. The first time it lasted about 15 years. The dr said at 40 it would start to go and he was dead on. Not even sure what it cost now a day, was around $2500 back then. 

I was shopping around recently its around 4k both eyes. I wish I could get it done but my corneas are too thin for both PRK and Lasik. 

• Like 1

The place that I had my Lasik done said that would happen. However they also said that touch up surgery would be free if that did happen. Is that not the same for you?

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me but only the right eye. RK at 26, ALK in the right eye at 45, 55 now and wear glasses occasionally. Check  on the implant contacts. I kinda wish I went that route 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

The place that I had my Lasik done said that would happen. However they also said that touch up surgery would be free if that did happen. Is that not the same for you?

My wife remembers discussing that with them, but you had to go there for yearly eye exams and if you didn’t it voided the “warranty.” I was young and dumb and didn’t go to the yearly eye exams so that’s not an option.