Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

9.3x62 Anyone Shoot It?

I am probably going to build one or buy one if I can find one for a reasonable price. Does anyone shoot it? 

What is your experience with loading it or shooting it? I had toyed with the idea of buying one when CZ still had the 550 in it, but they discontinued it so I kind of let it go. 

Now I am thinking about getting back on the train and getting one. My older son is 11 and has a hunting video game he likes and they have several rifles in 9.3x62 so he was curious about it and it reignited my intent to get 1. 

I am looking at either having Shaw or Preferred build a Savage prefit for it, or if I can find a rifle in it for reasonable money I might go that way. 

My am I broken and like these odd ball rounds. Why can I just like 30.06 😪🤣

I have a couple of buddies that have built them. They go over to Texas every year and put down hogs. They are absolutely a beast of a round. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hoofnit said:

Metric 35 whelen...

They seem to be pretty similar. I have always had a fascination with the mauser metric calibers that seem to be so ahead of their time that people are still basically reinventing them with new names. One of my main hunting rifles is a 6.5x55 which is basically 6.5 creedmoor that everyone loves/loves to hate, except it was invented 120 years ago. 

• Like 1

I am also toying with getting one. I was looking long and hard at building a 338-06 (still am!) and it was wild how often the 35 whelen and 9.3 came up in those conversations with those considering the 338-06. I love the history of the round and can’t find anyone who has one who doesn’t love it.  Depending on what you are looking for, JES at www.35caliber.com can bore out a 30-06 to it pretty easily. May open up some other build options. I have a single shot CVA I am planning to have bored out to dip my toes in it. If I like the round, planning on having a bolt action done. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eli said:

I am also toying with getting one. I was looking long and hard at building a 338-06 (still am!) and it was wild how often the 35 whelen and 9.3 came up in those conversations with those considering the 338-06. I love the history of the round and can’t find anyone who has one who doesn’t love it.  Depending on what you are looking for, JES at www.35caliber.com can bore out a 30-06 to it pretty easily. May open up some other build options. I have a single shot CVA I am planning to have bored out to dip my toes in it. If I like the round, planning on having a bolt action done. 

My buddy  is building  a 338-06 if it ever  gets done.  It's been  called  the poor man's magnum.  His build is north of a year at the gunsmith.  He wouldn't  listen  to me and take it to Phoenix custom  or axis works  . He went  to magnum  Mike's and is sorry  he did . I figure  I'll get my stock  from manners  and have axis  works  complete  my rifle  before  his is done.

• Like 1

Well I am committed now. I ordered the barrel from Shaw today because they are 30% off for black Friday. I also found Hornady brass at Bruno's and some bullets too. Now I need a stock for a savage 110 and a non-magnum bolt face. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:34 AM, PRDATR said:

Boyds is very popular with the Savage Shooters Forum.

I am looking at 1 on Bell & Carlson, but we will see what wlse is out there. I am going to wait a little to pull the trigger on that. The barrel is 12 weeks out so I have a little time. 

I personally have wanted to buy or build a 35 Whelen and they are very similar in performance.

Have fun with your new rifle.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.35+Whelen.html

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/9.3x62.html

• Like 1