Sign in to follow this  
creed

shoot?

Heading out after work tomorrow to scout for my son's jr hunt. If we glass up a buck like that opening morning we are dropping the hammer. 

• Like 5

It’s a young buck with great potential.  If you let him walk,  someone else may whack him, or…he may grow into a giant.  

8 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

How can you tell from those pictures that that’s a young buck?

2X3 possibly 3 1/2 - 4 years old. It will put on some weight but I don't see that rack getting more points.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

2X3 possibly 3 1/2 - 4 years old. It will put on some weight but I don't see that rack getting more points.

3 1/2 -4? Fawns are all born at the same time in july-august how can you possibly tell all of that about a couple of long range cell phone photos?

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

How can you tell from those pictures that that’s a young buck?

Looks 3 1-2 to me.  It could be any age, but it just doesn’t look like it’s developed into maturity yet.  

3 hours ago, creed said:

He's a 3x4.  Still in the velvet.

Lol, it's like all the aging experts, didn't even notice he was a 3x4 and still in velvet. How the heck did they come up with an accurate age?

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Lol, it's like all the aging experts, didn't even notice he was a 3x4 and still in velvet. How the heck did they come up with an accurate age?

Come on, guys.  It’s not that difficult to make generalizations about a deers  age.  Look at the profile of his slender snout, and the line of his back and belly.  People have been doing this for years.  It’s not exacting, but some generalizations are pretty common.

I know this article is about whitetails, but the principles apply.

https://www.buckmanager.com/2007/01/17/aging-deer-of-the-hoof/