Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

First turkey for me

Realized i never posted this. Nothing too fancy, just a jake but FINALLY my first turkey. Walked up the hill to us calling, all while gobbling his assss off. Had to lean around a tree for the 45 yard shot and sent him tumbling down the hill. 

Had other toms around us so forgot the field photos as we continued to hunt. Had my son with me and he took the photos. 

He loves to carry a safe and empty weapon for dad.... And I don't hate it!

20230429_062308.jpg

20230428_191458.jpg

• Like 20

Nice! I’ve had a lot of turkey tag soup so you’ve got 1 more than me. Youth turkey hunt is usually a blast too if your son is interested. 

18 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Nice! I’ve had a lot of turkey tag soup so you’ve got 1 more than me. Youth turkey hunt is usually a blast too if your son is interested. 

Oh he's in the draw for it! 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Oh he's in the draw for it! 

Worst case there are OTC youth tags too…that’s what I’ve done with my kids and my buddy’s kid. 

Third time  is the charm for me . This is the third  time I've been  in 6a for turkey  . Dropped  the wife and daughter  up at elk camp Saturday  and headed  back to work  Sunday  . I was back to hunt Sunday  afternoon  and was on 5 or 6 birds before  the thunder  and rain shut everything down.  Got a late start Monday  morning  about 730 and headed  towards  where I called a bird and the bear the last time.  I made it about half way there  and caught movement  . I thought  squirrel  and rolled  forward  another  foot or two and turkeys  ran out in front  of me . Out of the  sxs and boom hit a bird  . Had to chase after them a hit the bird again.  Just a small  Jake but I'm happy  after 2 other  unsuccessful  trips.  I'll have to post a picture  later when my signal  is better.  For the guys  from  Tucson  my wife  was talking  with  at happy jack lodge  when  getting  ice . I'm sorry  but we don't  give her real names for where we hunt . Wickenburg  camp was named for the poor guys  from  Wickenburg  that were ill  prepared  to hunt all those  years ago . Elk camp is just that it's  elk camp where we go when we're  drawn for elk ,deer,or turkey.  We tend to re- name the waterholes  as they earn there names .

• Like 3

We've got an Airbnb for the OTC tag for my son and my hunting partner and I have unit one tags again this year!

Congratulations.  When toms are gobbling and responding to calls, it is probably 2nd only to bugling bulls for adrenalin rush.  Varmint calling is a very close 3rd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, knothead said:

Congratulations.  When toms are gobbling and responding to calls, it is probably 2nd only to bugling bulls for adrenalin rush.  Varmint calling is a very close 3rd.

I agree. 2nd and 3rd place though are probably 2a and 2b. A predator coming to hand calls is a rush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I agree. 2nd and 3rd place though are probably 2a and 2b. A predator coming to hand calls is a rush.

Hard to beat a hard charging triple when you have a 12ga in your hands! 

9 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Hard to beat a hard charging triple when you have a 12ga in your hands! 

Agreed. Best experience I've ever had calling was a double, where i got one as did my buddy. Both with our 870s.