Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Reloading in the field

So I'm new to using muzzleloaders and was wondering how you guys carry the stuff to reload while in the field?( primers, powder, bullet, hand starter, etc.) I'm thinking of the scenario where a follow up shot might be needed, and you'd need to do it quickly. I'd want to have my stuff handy instead of fumbling around in my pack for something, but are there any sort of containers or small packs that keep it handy and accessible?

Thanks in advance.

If I have time prior to shooting (which I have in all instances except one), I lay my stuff out for a follow up shot (powder, sabot, rod, primer, etc). 

Now I shoot a bolt action with primer, but with my Thompson Center and Omega, I had a primer get stuck and make it difficult for a follow up.  I always ensure I have a primer removal tool ready. 

I have a small bag with speed loaders and everything needed to clean the ML (just in case). 

These are my favorite speed loaders, a little pricy. 

https://cedarmtnquickloaders.com/

• Like 2

Do you guys know a quick way to swab a barrel or have some sort of hack to hold to holding cleaning patches?  (Traditional muzzleloader)

I don't - other than getting a jag that can be used for loading and cleaning.  Don't want the cleaning patch to get lodged in the barrel.... 

1 hour ago, Redman said:

If I have time prior to shooting (which I have in all instances except one), I lay my stuff out for a follow up shot (powder, sabot, rod, primer, etc). 

Now I shoot a bolt action with primer, but with my Thompson Center and Omega, I had a primer get stuck and make it difficult for a follow up.  I always ensure I have a primer removal tool ready. 

I have a small bag with speed loaders and everything needed to clean the ML (just in case). 

These are my favorite speed loaders, a little pricy. 

https://cedarmtnquickloaders.com/

I also use the cedar mtn quick loaders. This set up to me has been ideal to reload powder.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, there's some good information here. I especially like the idea of setting everything out before the first shot so it's ready.

All great ideas. For 209 primers, with some recoil pads you can put a few in the "vents" in either side. Don't forget to put a couple in your pocket, pack, bino case etc.