AZantlerhead

My Pops nailed a MONSTER non-typical mule deer

Ok wow, allready some really close numbers. I green scored him conservatively at 206-7/8.With only 7 inches of difference those guys with the fish nets will put him at 199-7/8, give or take the professional inch. He's got an outside spread of 30-1/8, and a 22 6/8 inside spread credit. he's right at 4-4 1/2 on all his mass. Has 3 1/2 inch brows, 15 inch g-2's, 13 inch g-4's, and he sports 22 and 24inch mains. his g 3's are 7 and 10. and has a total of 22 inches of non-typical points . Thanks for the guesses and coments. I'll keep bugging him to post the story.

THe score will be close to the fps of the bow.

Is that a Hoyt ProHunter?

It's an old york express or something he's been shooting for a long time but this is his first kill with it.He deserves it more than anyone I know.

Well before I'd scrolled down to your scoring I got 205 1/2 out of him. What a mother lovin HOG of a buck!!!! That is absolutely unreal! Congrats to your Dad on one heck of a buck!

Yep that is a monster!

Congrats to the old man!!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

I was going to say 204

Jeff

That is a giant buck! Huge congrats to your dad! I was truthfully going to agree with Gino on the score, that thing is a PIG! JIM>

:o :o :o God I love Dec/Jan......! Big congrat's to your "pops"!!!!

He does deserve that brute.......

Your Dad certainly scored on one heck of a nice buck. My congratulations to your Dad. :)

TJ

Unreal! Spectacular buck. Belongs in a magazine.

Also humbling as I can't kill one half as big with my whizbang modern bow and high tech gear.

Well my Dad is just seriously too busy to fill you guys in, but I'll give you some details as he told it. I'm really proud of my Dad and his Archery trophy, and I can only dream to arrow one like his some day. And now, the rest of the story...........

A tight schedule kept scouting and early arrival to the non existent point, as well I could not make the hunt, but this timeing proved to be just the golden ticket my father would need to harvest his first bow kill after many many years of nothing on the ground. He still shoots his old york he bought when I was ten years old. Some 16 years ago.He's the best hunter in the world in my mind. Trained for 5 years with the U.S. Marines, an expert ranked marksman.And has hunting stories from 8 years prior to my existence, has been an accoplished guide for a few years and has many the animal met it's demise by his skills as well as others kills. But just never had that luck factor for himself while having a bow in hand. The factor without wich 100 percent of hunts would be bloodless. Yes, I believe God is the word not luck. Used "luck" to not offend but ohh well :rolleyes:.

Opening day still running late my Dad made it from the G&F through the line and down the road south east a couple hours To his unit. Soon he was driving a dirt road towing a camper and" road hunting" to drop camp.On the way in he noticed some deer trails and without even dropping the camper started backtracking the road he just drove on foot, bow in hand and ready to draw. This proved to be a heck of a gut feeling cause out of no where he spotted some does feeding and moveing adjacent to the road on the uphill side. Useing the pines he got close and then he saw Mr. Big Buck. But then the does saw my Dad, they didn't bound but began walking away. Fearing his does were leaving the buck followed but paused to see what made the does move. This was the time. Dad says it happened real fast but he new it was a shooter more than any dear he'd ever seen. He flipped his glasses of his face and to the ground. Yes his 250$ eyeglasses he needs to see clearly but can't shoot his bow with them.But the last thing on his mind was hestitateing an letting him walk. Not an instant later he was at full draw and Old buckies vitals soon filled the ring of his first sight pin. Knowing time was crucial, he let the arrow fly. It flew true and straight to it's destination. 22yds later the arrow did it's dirty work. the old aluminum easton 2213 smacking and makeing it's way back to earth covered in Blood,. Blood that ended a long battle, a battle between a man and his instinct to use a bow and arrow to put meat in the belly and antlers on the wall.

The buck bucked. no pun. And ran, chaseing his does up the hill. My dad knocked another arrow and drew up hopeing he'd stop again for the "mulie glance back"but there was nothing to aim at. After waiting a while He began tracking. Not finding his arrow untill after the buck and seeing little blood and then none was a puzzling thing. Hours after working the deer trails up the mountain, through their beds and then zig zagging back down he found Him. Not 200yds from where he'd neen shot. I can't write it up well enough in a hundred years but this buck had serious ground expantion! My Dad say's he lifted the rack for a few seconds, Then began a long series of whoopies and thak you gods and a victory dance I'm sure woulda been well at a Pow Wow. Luckily it was not long before he had gotten the truck from camp and made it back. Also he didn't have to pack it miles, something he's well familiar with. And with the help of the winch on the rack got the buck in the pickup. He Soon Made phone calls And I could't of been more happy my Dad was MY Dad when I heard the news. He kinda pulled everyones chain though. Telling my uncle it was nothin special and then me that he got a "little" 8x8. The whole little and 8x8 thing had me suspicious.

When He got home and I saw the rack and the look on his face I relayed my congrats and gave Him the kind of Hug This kinda time in life calls for. And I felt like I was ten all over again. My Dad was Super man and He'd just taken the biggest, meanest, toughest Buck to walk on the face of the planet. The way I did when he brought home the first one I remember, a litlle forkie blacktail, who was also the new world record. ;)