Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Browning Xbolt 308 factory ammo

Hey guys one of my friends is just getting into hunting and his brother has a 308 x-balt.  What weight projectile is best with that barrel twist and what factory ammunition have you guys found that shoots accurately out of it.  Just trying to get them off to the best start that they can be on...

Usually with a factory 30 cal barrel it's either in 10 or 12 twist, so the typical 150-180 bullets should work fine. On a typical .308 Win, if the rifle is right,  and the shooter can shoot, they are usually very accurate.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Usually with a factory 30 cal barrel it's either in 10 or 12 twist, so the typical 150-180 bullets should work fine. On a typical .308 Win, if the rifle is right,  and the shooter can shoot, they are usually very accurate.

Yes this!.. You might spend a little money at the begining but if I were you I'll buy a box of ammo different grains and different brands from 150 to 180 and everything in between. Shoot 5 shots groups letting your barrel to cool off between shots. Pick the brand and grains that group better. Good luck to your friend and I hope he gets to love the sport!

• Like 1

If you live closer I'd  give him some to try. With that said the 308 is very forgiving and 90% of them shoot 150's just fine.

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

If you live closer I'd  give him some to try. With that said the 308 is very forgiving and 90% of them shoot 150's just fine.

yep great advice here ^^^^. I'll add barrel length can be an issue when selecting ammo. 22 inches or less stick to 150's. 

Thanks for the replies.  I'll see if guys I know down here have any ammo I could get in lots of 5 and go from there 

For 308 I like the 150-168gr class bullets. If you are shooting all copper go 130-150gr to help get a little more speed for the bullets to open up well. 

Im shooting 150’s in my xbolt heck's canyon speed. 22” barrel 308. It wouldnt group very well with the factory radial brake. Took it off and it tightened groups up significantly. 

• Like 1