Sign in to follow this  
Sam

First hunt since my dad passed

My dad passed away in July and this was my first outing since his passing. He and I started hunting together in the late 1970s. Like most of us, our dad’s taught us the skills needed to be successful, the appreciation for everything we harvest and how to take care of the meat from field to table. In his memory I used his favorite rifle and I was able to hunt our favorite unit. Over the years, we have harvested many deer, bulls and cows from this unit. I am thankful to have had a successful hunt and relive over 40 years of memories. 

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

• Like 43
  • Love 3
  • Wow! 1

Sorry about your loss. But I can't think of a better way to honor his memory.  Congrats on a successful hunt.

• Like 5

I'm sure you know he was right there with you the whole time. From a fathers perspective I am always there watching over my grown children.

• Like 2

I got my first elk this year since my dad passed 2 years ago. I know the feeling. He taught me everything I know to this day. I wish he would of been with me in person but I know he was there in spirit.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Sorry about your loss. But I can't think of a better way to honor his memory.  Congrats on a successful hunt.

Thank you

A wonderful tribute to your Dad.  Cherish those memories made afield.

• Like 1

Sorry for loss! Love that you used his rifle for the hunt! Congrats.

My Dad passed the end of May. Didn’t get drawn for anything to pay tribute this year. Maybe next year. My Dads favorite rifle is a twin to your Dads!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:27 PM, PRDATR said:

I'm sure you know he was right there with you the whole time. From a fathers perspective I am always there watching over my grown children.

Yes, I he loved it up there. My kids are 22 and 26, we will always be there for them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I got my first elk this year since my dad passed 2 years ago. I know the feeling. He taught me everything I know to this day. I wish he would of been with me in person but I know he was there in spirit.

Sorry about your loss. It was hard knowing he wouldn't  be there around the camp fire or for breakfast. He usually had the bacon cooking around 11:00. He usually beat me back to camp. 

9 hours ago, Mocha1545 said:

Sorry for loss! Love that you used his rifle for the hunt! Congrats.

My Dad passed the end of May. Didn’t get drawn for anything to pay tribute this year. Maybe next year. My Dads favorite rifle is a twin to your Dads!

It is tough. He had many rifles, but this was his favorite and I watched him carry it on every hunt for about 45 years. I forgot how heavy it is :) I am sorry about your dad and I hope you get to use his rifle next year. It sure was meaningful to me. Funny how alot of old timers liked this rifle. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sam said:

Sorry about your loss. It was hard knowing he wouldn't  be there around the camp fire or for breakfast. He usually had the bacon cooking around 11:00. He usually beat me back to camp. 

Lol bacon and coffee going. My pops loves to hunt! But he loved to watch everyone else be successful first. Congratulations on your hunt. And I’m sorry for your loss as well.

• Like 1

Sure miss hunting with my dad as well. Lot's of great memories and lots of crazy stories too.

• Like 1