Sign in to follow this  
gonefishn

Youth Bow or Muzzleloader or handgun? Please help

My daughter got drawn for a javelina H.A.M. hunt. She has harvested both a javelina and a deer. She said she wanted to try bow. My question is should I get a muzzleloader as backup. The only firearm she has shot is my 243 rifle. I am afraid a muzzleloader recoil may be too much for her. She is 11. She does fine with the 243 and can shoot it all day at the range. Also any suggestions on bow's. I don't want to spend too much as she may not like it. Would shooting a 30-06 be comparable? I know, I know, a lot of factors go into it like how hot the muzzleloader load is and the stock and if it has a muzzle break or not. I mean out of the box muzzle loader and out of the box 30-06. Any help is much appreciated. 

I accidentally put my 10 year old in for ham…. I don’t think I could load down the muzzleloader enough for her to shoot. She also can’t draw 35 lbs….. only thing I can think of for her is to stick a red dot on a handgun and then try to get her into like 10 yards

I got a muzzlelaoder recently. The recoil isn't too bad compared to a 243. Especially if you wanna do some lighter loads. Look at getting a cva wolf, black horn 209 powder, Home hornady SST, and some blackhorn 209 primers. And some cleaning kit supplies. That's about all you need

• Like 1

No debate really for an 11 y.o.   Muzzleoader with shooting sticks.  Can be loaded to mild recoil.  Yes, you can shoot 5 or 6 arrows, or handgun rounds while reloading a ML, but both take much more practice.  It would be ideal to get her started on all 3, but if time is short, I would go with ML.

• Like 1

I see after rereading this….

mid nov , does not own a bow. I recant my advise.

get a cheater ar pistol

• Like 2

@oz31p I will get her a bow and see if she can pull back enough poundage, the question was more about a backup firearm incase she does not like, or cant pull back enough poundage. I know the post was not worded well.

@UggRedBilly Thanks for the advice and specifics on equipment. I think I will get a bow for her and a muzzy as backup. I hope she will like bow tho. Gives me a reason my wife cant be mad I bought a muzzleloader 

@forepaw Thanks for the advice she took both the deer and javelina off of shooting sticks so I think she would be most comfortable with that. Any suggestions on muzzleloader, primers, powder and bullet. She is a pretty good shot and I will try to get her in close so I am not too worried about getting a bunch of quick shots off. 

I'm with oz here ar pistol if she can't pull the bow back.  

Also I thought they bumped archery minimum poundage to 40 pounds. Or maybe it was 30 and they bumped it to 35.  I'm sure someone can chime in. 

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I'm with oz here ar pistol if she can't pull the bow back.  

Also I thought they bumped archery minimum poundage to 40 pounds. Or maybe it was 30 and they bumped it to 35.  I'm sure someone can chime in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gonefishn said:

@oz31p I will get her a bow and see if she can pull back enough poundage, the question was more about a backup firearm incase she does not like, or cant pull back enough poundage. I know the post was not worded well.

@UggRedBilly Thanks for the advice and specifics on equipment. I think I will get a bow for her and a muzzy as backup. I hope she will like bow tho. Gives me a reason my wife cant be mad I bought a muzzleloader 

I started shooting my bow at about 8 years old and quickly got up to 35 pounds. Plenty on practice and she will get there in no time. But the AR pistol will probably be the best option and easiest to learn

23 hours ago, gonefishn said:

@forepaw Thanks for the advice she took both the deer and javelina off of shooting sticks so I think she would be most comfortable with that. Any suggestions on muzzleloader, primers, powder and bullet. She is a pretty good shot and I will try to get her in close so I am not too worried about getting a bunch of quick shots off. 

I am anything but an expert, but from what I have seen, the in-line break action muzzleloaders are pretty easy to use.  I would think a .45 cal. w, sabots and white hot pellets (2 ea. depending on bullet weight), and 209 primers would be a good combo.  You can buy the little tubes to hold everything (except the primers) to make reloading easier when you are out in the wind with freezing fingers.  Hard to go wrong with a Knight or similar.  They seem pretty affordable.  Expect to run a patch through every 1/2 dozen or so shots.  Hope it works out for ya.   

I ve got a muzzleloader  you could  borrow  for her hunt  if needed  . It's a tc encore  and you could  easily  download  powder  with blackhorn  209 . It shoots a hornady  250 sabot round . I'm up hunting  elk with  my dad this week  but let me know.  

AR "pistol" or any if those other pistols that shoot rifle distances.  Tc, remington 700,.  Slap a scope on it, bipod and shoot as far as you need..