Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Unit 33 WT

Well my daughters and my elk cow hunt was unsuccessful on filling tags so I was on a mission to put meat in the freezer. Wasn’t real happy with the full moon conditions we were experiencing but knew an area that held decent deer. Opening morning I had hopes of finding the bruiser that has been eluding me for the past 3 yrs, but at 6:15 two bucks decide to show up on an opposite hill. For the next 20 minutes I’m frantically glassing a canyon where the bruiser likes to hangout…..nothing. I then start thinking how I want some meat in the freezer again. I range the (2) bucks at 410yds, but still keep looking at the canyon….nothing. I get set up and hem and haw for the next 5 minutes and decide to send lead. I knew the next few days were going get super windy and finding deer under the moon and wind conditions was going to get tougher each day along with normal pressure. So I decided it’s go time!!!! 1st shot was a tad low, adjusted scope and 2nd shot was spot on. Not my biggest or smallest, but meat in the freezer. Just a measly 2 mile hike out but worth every bit of it. This deer had an absolutely beautiful coat on it. We filled 2 out of 3 tags with the hunting party I was with. 

IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4091.jpeg

• Like 16

Congrats

I had one like that at 564 for 15 minutes. I chose not to shoot him.... wishing I would have now. The meat would have been great dog food. 

40 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Nice buck. Sometimes you just got to fill a tag, life limits ones time in the field.  

Thank you and now with it being harder to get drawn I’m not picky anymore.

43 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I had one like that at 564 for 15 minutes. I chose not to shoot him.... wishing I would have now. The meat would have been great dog food. 

Seriously, you would have just fed it to your dog? I've had some good dogs over the years but this leaves me scratching my head.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

Seriously, you would have just fed it to your dog? I've had some good dogs over the years but this leaves me scratching my head.

She eats fully raw. Shes eaten deer, elk, dove, duck, turkey that I've killed already.

12 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

20231115_142632.jpg

1 hour ago, cjl2010 said:

That’s what mule deer are for Casey…

HOW DARE YOU. She and I have standards. I would never hunt them over the Coues!

3 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I would hope you know this guy and it's a joke. Right?