Boarman03

Need a really good night scope

I'm having coyote problems and I need a really good night scope that will reach out to 100yrds.

If you have one or know which one is really good, please advise.

Thanks for your help.

Russ night vision  scopes and thermal  are a no go in az. I bought  a sightmark  wraith  for texas pigs.  So your  options  are limited  to good glass  with illuminate  redicals..

With  out special  permission. From  azfgd.. if you  do need it I absolutely  will  let you  borrow  my setup 😉 

As I hunt Texas hogs on occasion (thus the name), and this is a predation situation, and they have and do attack and kill my livestock, per AZ Law I am permitted to take all reasonable means to stop them from killing my livestock, including killing them by any reasonable means since they are not protected.

I don't have enough of the larger leg traps (I place them in groups of four) and where they are attacking from I can't stop them.

The police and Game and Fish have both been aware of my situation for many years. Neither will do anything about the problem.

I can NOT stop them off of my property, but ONLY ON my property. I am responsible for containing all methods to my property boundaries. 

I've been able to avoid needing a scope for many years but now find I must invest in one. It is too dark for the lit reticles. Those I have. Also in Texas it is getting such that I leave the lightly lit areas and thus need the night scope. I just didn't know which really was best.

You might consider an AGM Rattler thermal as well.  They are a great value and I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service when needed.  I picked up one from PredatorHunterOutdoors.com for a great price with a backup battery thrown in as well.  Five year warranty & they're based in AZ.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boarman03 said:

These yotes are avoiding the live traps,

It's like fishing,  change the bait. 

• Like 1

I used to do a bit of trapping. I found that the best method for trapping any K9 is a dirt hole set.  You have to be sure you leave no human scent on the set. Place two sets within a few yards of each other and it's not uncommon to catch doubles.  You want to use No 1.5 or 2 coil springs. put the sets in the right spot and you don't even need bait or lure,  curiosity alone will catch them. Snares work well if you know the travel routes or can create a funnel.

• Like 1

Problem is the other animals roam the same area. I don't want to trap my own animals in the traps.

Sorry can’t help ya with scopes - don’t know anything about them - 

but you won’t catch a big old male coyote  in a Iive trap - they are to smart and won’t go in them - no matter the bait- I guess I shouldn’t say never , as occasionally it might happen - 

my buddy and I have probably over 40 years trapping between us and he has caught  1 young pup coyote in a live trap in all those years - that’s it just the one …..

bobcats no problem , foxes yes , even a javelina will go in them - but very rarely will a coyote go in a live trap . 

a coyote wants to see all around him and not be boxed in  even the dirt hole sets the backing needs to be no higher then about his knees as he wants to see over the top of it and see all around ….. 

that’s just my 2 cents on coyotes and live  cage traps…. 

how are you setting in “ clusters of 4” not quite understanding that ….. how big is your place - ? A few scattered around with different kinds of sets( dirt holes , trash mounds , T-bone etc …. )  and lures should get them ….. 

with coyote’s unfortunately it’s never a “one and done “ they will always be there - when you take out one , another takes his place , but you should be able to keep them in check ….. 

have you tried snares were they come through the fence ? I know they are a no go as well - but with your statement -“ by any means necessary “ …….. 

what kind of livestock are you talking about ? Goats , chickens , cows ? 

you do have to be careful with the traps if they are set in a pasture were your livestock runs - #3’s will catch and hold a goat or calf ….. ( I have caught my own calf before ) - so that comes into play as well….. 

anyway if you want to pursue the trapping angle more and need to borrow a few footholds to try I’ve got probably 200 you can come get a few to try out if you want to . 

• Like 2

We were posting at the same time - yes if you have your livestock in the same pasture that is a problem- as you will catch them 

2 hours ago, tomgobbler said:

Sorry can’t help ya with scopes - don’t know anything about them - 

but you won’t catch a big old male coyote  in a Iive trap - they are to smart and won’t go in them - no matter the bait- I guess I shouldn’t say never , as occasionally it might happen - 

my buddy and I have probably over 40 years trapping between us and he has caught  1 young pup coyote in a live trap in all those years - that’s it just the one …..

bobcats no problem , foxes yes , even a javelina will go in them - but very rarely will a coyote go in a live trap . 

a coyote wants to see all around him and not be boxed in  even the dirt hole sets the backing needs to be no higher then about his knees as he wants to see over the top of it and see all around ….. 

that’s just my 2 cents on coyotes and live  cage traps…. 

how are you setting in “ clusters of 4” not quite understanding that ….. how big is your place - ? A few scattered around with different kinds of sets( dirt holes , trash mounds , T-bone etc …. )  and lures should get them ….. 

with coyote’s unfortunately it’s never a “one and done “ they will always be there - when you take out one , another takes his place , but you should be able to keep them in check ….. 

have you tried snares were they come through the fence ? I know they are a no go as well - but with your statement -“ by any means necessary “ …….. 

what kind of livestock are you talking about ? Goats , chickens , cows ? 

you do have to be careful with the traps if they are set in a pasture were your livestock runs - #3’s will catch and hold a goat or calf ….. ( I have caught my own calf before ) - so that comes into play as well….. 

anyway if you want to pursue the trapping angle more and need to borrow a few footholds to try I’ve got probably 200 you can come get a few to try out if you want to . 

When they come in in one area, the animals do not..in that area I place several leg traps clustered in groups of three and four such that if the yote steps in one the will wind up stepping in another while trying to get out of the first one. That way there will never be a three legged yote walking down the street or, that yote definitely will not be walking anywhere again after I do what I do naturally.😁