Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Jonathan

Coues Hunting Turned Out To Be Everything I Thought It Would

Spent all last week chasing coues deer, and it was marvelous. The hunt was everything I could have hoped for on a first coues hunt, save for not actually harvesting myself. Here's a quick run down:

-Had to find a new spot on our own since the first plans fell through.

-Saw my first javelina.

-Saw several more javelina!

-Saw my first large coues buck in the glasses

-Saw several more large coues bucks in the glasses!

-Shot at (and missed) a coues buck :(

-Got to see my first border crossers when a trail of 9 illegal packers smuggling drugs walked just feet away from me in a wash while I laid back in the bushes... That was SCARY!

-God saved my life in the wash (see previous) :)

-Called the border patrol

-Spent time in gnarly rough country and got stabbed and scratched and cut by every single piece of vegetation I walked past

-Spent one crazy night in a seedy motel in Nogales after getting scared by illegals

-Got creeped out by hippies in Patagonia after switching from the southern unit with the illegals

-Saw some of the craziest rutting activity ever

-Ate a gas station burrito in Mammoth

-Took my boots off on a stalk, got to 45-50 yards, and then the buck busted.

-Saw 3 legitimate 90-100 inch bucks

-Saw my first Coati!

-Spent time with great friends

-Had a great friend harvest his first coues deer

-Found a whole new appreciation for these deer and the country they run in.

post-3039-1232400345_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1232400446_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1232401572_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1232400194_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1232401677_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1232401756_thumb.jpg

Dude thats awesome I shot my first coues this year also congrats to your friend. I have not hunted down south yet but do look forward to it next Jan.

-Almost met certain death when a trail of 9 illegal packers smuggling coke walked just feet away from me in a wash while I laid back in the bushes clutching my 9 mm... That was SCARY!

So..... I'd sure like to know how you knew it was Coke. Just curious.

-Almost met certain death when a trail of 9 illegal packers smuggling coke walked just feet away from me in a wash while I laid back in the bushes clutching my 9 mm... That was SCARY!

So..... I'd sure like to know how you knew it was Coke. Just curious.

Well, it could've been barbie dolls and baby wipes for all I know. They were all young guys with jansport style back packs on and when i talked to the officer in that area he said the route they were on was almost entirely drug trafficking and not immigration. I asked him if he thought it was marijuana they might be running and he just laughed and said, "no, its definitely cocaine." So, the real question is how did he know it was coke? But I took his word for it because it makes for a better story.

Don't get your panties in a wad, dude.. If you would take the time and read what I initially wrote, all I said was JUST CURIOUS.

sounds like quite an adventure. I also shot and missed this weekend, but got to see my friend harvest a buck. It's always a good time out there...

B)

Mr. Jonathan... You have come a long way in one season! Thanks for the great story and congrats to you and your friend.

Congrats to the lot of ya's... Great story As it were.

OH yea also welcome to southern Az.. sounds to me like you got the whole tour all on your own. And some of the nastier sides at that..

Great story, sucks the southern part of the state has that black eye because it is maybe the greatest part. Disregard some of the $^&$%&*! remarks, someone always got something negative to say.