cannonball

Pinched nerve - Cant draw bow

Anyone dealt with a pinched nerve in their neck? I woke up Dec 8 with my trap muscle tight and sore and unable to lift my left arm above waist level. Been doing chiro/PT since and its getting a little better but Im still weak in my left arm. Also have a neuro appointment 1/23 (earliest I could get in)

As of today I have most of my range of motion back but my left arm is still very weak. I can now lift my bow but cant draw it. There isnt anything wrong with my arm/shoulder structurally (muscles, tendons, ligaments etc.) its just the brachial nerve isnt controlling it right. 

Sucks since Im missing OTC. I was thinking of trying to find a bow like the Diamond Prism that adjust way down to like 5-10lbs but also has 28" draw just so I can work on form and build back strength.

Applaud your efforts vs turning to alternative fake archery hunting weapons even though sounds like you legitimately can vs these guys wussing out getting xbow permits just because they can. All about those horns!  Good luck! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Not a whole lot you can do in the short term but rest and stretch but keep working with your PT. Sorry man, maybe someone has a 30# bow you can shoot with your other hand.

• Like 1

Just now, jdown said:

Applaud your efforts vs turning to alternative fake archery hunting weapons even though sounds like you legitimately can vs these guys wussing out getting xbow permits just because they can. All about those horns!  Good luck! 

Word!

1 minute ago, jdown said:

I took a quick look at the CHAMP application but I thought I read it was for permanent vs short term disability, which Im not even considering

Most likely due to inflammation where the nerve leaves the vertebrae.  Mine is the C7.  I tried PT but ended up needing an injection to bring the inflammation down.  If you’re loosing strength in your arm you need to be seen asap due to permanent damage.  OrthoArizona has a walk in clinic that’s not bad if you arrive in the morning when they open.

• Like 1

My older brother and I both have degenerative spine issues(hereditary) causing similar issues to what you are experiencing. His got really bad due to an accident and had to have surgery  to fuse some vertebrae and open up the spinal column. He can walk again and has arm motion but it is a long process. 

My chiropractor told me about a procedure where they can kill the nerve and then it re-grows or finds a new path or something scientific like that. I am close to going down that path. Might ask your doc about it if your issue is "permanent" and not just from a strain or what not.

21 hours ago, jdown said:

I think you should require a documented archery history of 10 years minumum to be able to qualify for a xbow permit. Hope you get better soon. 

I don’t work on my mobility so I can’t speak from experience. But i would google to see if there was some correlating videos by Kelly Starrett 

On 1/11/2024 at 11:14 AM, cannonball said:

I was thinking of trying to find a bow like the Diamond Prism that adjust way down to like 5-10lbs but also has 28" draw just so I can work on form and build back strength.

There are some strength/form aids that might help...various ones around. Friend of mine was selling one called the Dry Fire Pro that I liked...not sure I even have it anymore may have loaned it out and didn't get it back. I have a Mission Menace I had listed in the classifieds...could crank it way down with full draw length if interested.