Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

Tools for off-roading / repairs - what do you carry

I am going through my tools and such that I carry with me in my truck for off roading/backcountry travel. I have a 2006 F150, lifted, beefy bumpers and winch, shell on back with roof rack.  Would like to hear what others use/carry.  I have been trying to lean out some tools and such and no reason to bring the kitchen sink.

- Pliers, side cutters, needle nose, vice grips, open ended wrench
- 3 lb dead blow hammer
- duct tape, electrical tape
- zip ties in various sizes
- bailing wire
- screw driver with multiple bits
- bastard file
- few hose clamps
- 3 different sizes of pry bars
- 1/2 torque wrench
- 1/2 socket wrench with downstep to 3/8
- 1/2 breaker bar
- 1/4 small socket set (5/32-9/16 in., 4-14 mm)
- 3/8 Metric deep sockets 10 - 19
- combination wrench set 8mm - 22mm
- hex / allen keys
- gloves
- tire repair kit
- 6 ton bottle jack from Safejack
- shovel, rake, axe
- battery pack/jumper - using the anitgravity pack (https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/)
- set of jumper cables
- 4 4x4 blocks of wood for chauks or base for bottle jack
- fuse/wire connectors

Recovery gear:
- winch
- kenetic rope
- soft shackles
- tree saver
- tow strap
- snatch blocks
- traction boards

Next big buy is a 10lb power tank, and getting impact gun and a long hose to get to my flexbow tent and screw down the lab bolts.

Things I'm thinking about - 3/8 and 1/2 impact sockets (probably not a set, but buying offs for the few things like lug nuts etc.)  Depending on season ie., winter, I just add 2 sets of chains, snow shovel, snow broom and warm crabbing gloves for clearing snow/chaining up.

• Like 2

Your list looks good. A few things I carry in addition to most of the stuff you listed is a small 12V air compressor for tires, jumper cables and/or rechargeable booster pack, and a small collection of wire crimp connectors for emergency electrical repairs.

47 minutes ago, az41mag said:

Your list looks good. A few things I carry in addition to most of the stuff you listed is a small 12V air compressor for tires, jumper cables and/or rechargeable booster pack, and a small collection of wire crimp connectors for emergency electrical repairs.

good call on jumpers, I do have cables and the battery pack that I have used a few times.  I tried to air up truck after it was fully loaded with a 12v and wouldnt air up, too much weight, had to run to Discount Tire and have them fill me  up.  Hence my next buy is the Power Tank.  I added the updates to my list.

The big lesson I learned was not to keep my kit all the way in back of truck with all coolers and camping gear packed in front.  Was the biggest cluster to unpack and repack just to get to tools.  Now I keep them in the back seat, where it is super easy to access now.

• Like 1

Battery operated 1/2 impact wrench with 3/8 and 1/4 inch reducers and I always make sure I have the right socket for my wheel nuts. Some vehicles take a skinny socket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe hunter said:

Battery operated 1/2 impact wrench with 3/8 and 1/4 inch reducers and I always make sure I have the right socket for my wheel nuts. Some vehicles take a skinny socket.

My wheels have spline key and have a few spares at home and in the truck.  I actually have been thinking about going back to the acorn nuts to use more common sockets instead of spline keys.  some how shop loses the key when doing rotations etc...

As far as getting impact sockets in metric, are there more common sizes that are used more often?

Didn’t see extra spare listed unless I missed it? Always carry 2 spares since I’ve needed 2 before. Battery impact is a must as well as a few pry bars and valve stems (been there too) other than your list I would add a few common parts that fail on whatever your driving. You may not have the tools to replace but at least you’ll have the parts when you gotta hitchhike back to town on a Sunday morning at 5am with all the parts stores closed. A buddy can drive you back out with the tools to replace the parts you already have. Saves a really expensive tow bill. I had to replace a ball joint once, distributor once, plug wire once, hubs a few times, fuses once when I knocked off my trailer plug and the Tacoma wouldn’t come outa park. Just keep some common parts with your tools. Could save a lot of money.

• Like 1

Battery impact and small air comp instead of the power tank. PT are $$$ and take up alot of room. 

Hatchet

For Jack

High lift jack

Electrical wire, a relay, random electrical connectors and fuses. Wire strippers and crimper. 

I used a 20V dewalt drill battery as an impromptu jump pack last week. The batteries in my truck wrapped out and would quite crank it. I had the battery for my impact under the seat. I cut 2 section of 12ga wire from my spare wire real and steipped the ends. Jambed the wire in the + and - terminal on the drill battery and then the truck battery. 30 seconds later the truck turned right over. 

4 way lug wrench

Long gun of some sort. 

Spare ammo for your long gun and edc.

First aid kit

Trauma kit including at least 2 tourniquets. 

Toilet paper

Fire starter kit

Water purification of some sort

Spare water and food. 

Compass

Garmin in-reach

Phone booster pack

Fluids for the vehicle including oil, ATF, grease, etc. 

Spare random nuts and bolts, nails, screws.

Multille flashlight and headlamps with extra batteries. 

I am sure there is more.

Sounds like it would be easier to just camp out in the Harbor Freight parking lot.

laughing-best.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

For some reason I always have a digital volt-ohm meter packed along side my tools.

An axe and shovel is always in the back. Chainsaw and gas if you're camping.

• Like 1