Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

Rocky point pier fishing advise

Hello. I'm taking my family to rocky point in March and looking for some fishing tips/advise. I'm not an avid fisherman and have never salt water fished. We're staying at the reef rv park and it's right by the reef pier. From what I've read we won't need any license to fish from this pier. Is that confirmed? Any advise on what to use for bait? I have a couple larger cat fish poles, will those work? Any other advise or recommendations I would appreciate it. Thank you 

• Like 1

I’ve fished salt water a whole 3 times so not real experienced. Twice off shore and one of those days was Rocky Point. Both times though I used like  a 1 oz Kastmaster and had a ball. Nothing big but caught quite a few and felt I was somewhat ready with 20 lb Pline on a Calais and 7’ flippin stick. I don’t really have the patience for bait so can’t help there. Good luck!

• Like 1

In San Diego I either throw a blue and red  Mackerel spoon. But mostly use squad , shrimp, or Mackerel if I can catch a few. Then cast out and let drop to the bottom. Best luck for good size fish is use sand crabs and fish in the break water. Might help

• Like 1

You can use shrimp and squid for bait there.  You can catch triggerfish there and will probably catch little stingrays which you can cut up and use for bait as well. 

• Like 2

This time last year they were catching those huge totoabas off the pier. They were using relatively small swimbaits. I’d throw like a 5500 size spinning reel with a pretty long rod with 40lb braid and and 20lb-40lb leader, 1-2oz lead head with a swim bait. Catch a nice sardinera or a totoaba 

also guys are hammering the big corvina off pelican point area 

• Like 3

Issue w braid off the rocks is if you get snagged, and you will. You can break mono and the weak point will be by the lure so youlll save line not to mention cutting your hands with braid.Braid doesn’t tend  to break. A Katlins squid  body  on a 1 oz lead jig head ripped will pound the corvina/ sea trout when they’re running.