CraigK

1980 Cj 5

Like the title says, I have a 1980 CJ 5 for sale. My dad bought it in 1982 and it was passed on to me a few years ago. I hate to get rid of it, but I don’t have the time to care for it like I should.

The original engine was replaced in the 80’s with a bigger AMC 304. It has a PowerTrax Lock Right rear locker and will get you everywhere you’re brave enough to go. It does leak a little oil, I believe it’s from the rear main seal. It’s been like this for decades, we’ve always just checked the oil periodically and added when needed. Overall it’s in good shape. The shifter can be touchy. If jammed into gear, the shifter can get stuck in that particular gear- never have taken it to get looked at, I’ve always just shifted gentle and it’s never been an issue.

Also has:

After market front bumper with winch.

Rear bumper with swing away spare.

Dual exhaust 

Prices seem to be all over the place for these old Jeeps. Sold!

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

Edited by CraigK
Sold
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Very Cool! Do you happen to know what year 304 was put in it and what carburetor is on it now?

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Very Cool! Do you happen to know what year 304 was put in it and what carburetor is on it now?

I’d have to check with my dad, but I believe the carb is a motorcraft 2 barrel. The 304 came out of a 1978 rambler and I believe was put in the Jeep in 1983 or 84

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Being a 2 barrel motorcraft its probably the 2100, that was a popular conversion.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rugermack said:

Tranny?

It has a 4 speed manual transmission 

So tempting.  I had a 69 CJ5 in high school and held on to it for about 20 years. 

Having a 4 speed is great, my dads was a 4 speed.