Sign in to follow this  
1uofacat

New Archery Equipment for the '24 elk hunt

Anyone using new equipment for this years elk hunt?  After a month of looking (dating back to well before the draw) I decided on a Lift 33 & am setting it up.  While I've done well with my 'old' Apex in the past, it was time for an upgrade.  I will say the recoil is essentially non-existent when shooting it as Mathews has outdone itself with this one.  The one thing I'm still deciding on however is a rear-facing stabilizer to help balance it (with a quiver of arrows).  Is there much of a performance difference that should be considered other than weight & balance for this bow (above QD)?

I imagine there's a lot of you here that have spent substantial time on this already and am looking for your thoughts...

• Like 1

I also picked up the new Lift this year although the 29.5" version. It's a sweet shooting rig. On my last Mathews I did run a back bar but I with the new integrated bridge lock system and quiver that sits so tight to the riser my Lift balances well without the need of a back bar. I do have a front stabilizer though-- I like a bow to tip forward after the shot.

• Like 3

I was considering the Lift as an upgrade over my Halon 32 but decided to keep the Halon.  But I did drop it off at Timber Mesa last week for a tune, new string and a new custom sight tape.  The Lift looks nice and is very light but sticker shock scared me away. With tax it would have been like $1600!  I remember when the flagship bows cost $999.99.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

I was considering the Lift as an upgrade over my Halon 32 but decided to keep the Halon.  But I did drop it off at Timber Mesa last week for a tune, new string and a new custom sight tape.  The Lift looks nice and is very light but sticker shock scared me away. With tax it would have been like $1600!  I remember when the flagship bows cost $999.99.

The Halon 32 became my backup bow when I picked up the Lift--that bow has treated me well.

Bare bow for $1600? You should be able to get a way better price than that. Check with Mav at Bull Basin Archery up in Flag.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 5:53 PM, high rise hunter said:

The Halon 32 became my backup bow when I picked up the Lift--that bow has treated me well.

Bare bow for $1600? You should be able to get a way better price than that. Check with Mav at Bull Basin Archery up in Flag.

That's where I picked mine up from, & you are correct!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1uofacat said:

That's where I picked mine up from, & you are correct!

Same here. It's a fantastic archery shop!

• Like 1

I’m gonna take a real hard look at PSE’s offerings.  I’m not gonna trade a kidney for a new bow.  I’ve killed a lot of things with my 2016 premonition hd from pse, but it’s twitchy and hard to hold, and I’m getting older by the minute.  
I’d consider Mathews, but they are $pendy. They have what looks like  a decade of lathe work that goes into each bow.  Which adds to the cost.  It’s just hard to justify.  1600 for a dead elk, when it could  be just as dead for half that much money.  

id like something a little smoother, if I can keep the speed up.  

I’m running a 6” bow finger out front with an 8” bow finger out back. It’s made a world of difference in acquiring my target faster, and has cut my pin floating in half or more. I’m running a Mathew’s halon 6. Just put a new string on last month. Mathew’s makes a great bow. I have all the confidence I need with this old bow. I’ve killed a deer and a bull with it. Hopefully I get another one this September. 

IMG_7504.jpeg

IMG_7505.jpeg

• Like 1

You guys are lucky  ! Try and find a long draw bow . Everything  is 31 or 31.5 max then your hunting  for a bow in the 32/ 34 range . Arrows get tough as they flex and cork screw if there not a heavy  spine . Last bow a mathews monster 7 and two dozen arrows was 2200 plus tax and most all the add on stuff came off my old bow .

I just upgraded from my Mathews Reezen 7.0 to a Mathews V3X with a Tetra Max RYZ X3 sight for my bull hunt. Bow is incredibly smooth and very happy with it thus far. I will have my Reezen as a back up just in case knowing that it is dialed in and ready to go.  I am going to start working on getting the sight dialed in this weekend. It is a lot different compared to what I am used to. I am used to a 7 pin that doesn't adjust so it will be a process. Does anyone have any knowledge with the tetra max sight or tips they are willing to share to get it dialed in? I also changed arrows to the Victory RIP TKO and paired it to the Iron Will Wide bevel broadheads with bleeders. I am interested to see how they perform but have only heard good things from my buddies that switched over to them. any input on the sight and arrows would be good to have. Looking forward to chasing bulls in 3A/3C this september.

• Like 1