Sign in to follow this  
haywire

My son's pig!!

Well my son had a juniors pig hunt last year that did not go quite as planned..... He missed a sure shot and was pretty bummed about it. I told him not to get down that he would have more opportunities. It started by him taking his first deer last year on a juniors hunt that many of you saw posted on here. Well he got another juniors pig tag this year in a different unit and we were pretty excited. We got a late start out Friday morning and it rained from Show Low all the way down. We got camp set up and went to start glassing. It rained off and on and we had no luck. Saturday morning we woke to a very heavy fog that did not start to lift until late morning. We found a few deer but no piggies. A good friend of mine showed up mid-day to hang with us and lend a hand. We left camp for one spot and saw more deer. We moved to another area and glassed hard again. When we were moving to another galssing spot we did have some pigs run off the side of the road, but no luck finding them. Sunday morning we woke and knew that the weather would be better and the pigs should be moving. We went to an area just past where we saw them the day before and glassed only to see more deer. My buddy had to leave at about ten, so we moved to another spot just up the road. My boy and I hiked to a rock point to start glassing again. After about 45 minutes or so I spotted something under a tree over a thousand yards away or more. I stared at it for a few minutes when it finally moved. I told my son I had pigs and I could see him start to shake a little. I found six in the herd and watched for a few minutes to make sure they were not moving too far. I knew there was a little 2 track road that went in the direction so we hurried back to the truck and went that way. We drove that road a little bit and parked by a small hill. We climed up it and located them again but they were still over 500 yards away. We started the stalk on them and found them again at 150 yards. My boy had nothing to rest the gun on and I knew we could get closer because they had no idea we were there. We backed up a little, went into some trees and moved closer. I found a dead tree that was a perfect rest for his gun. I got him comfortable and ranged the closest pig at 87 yards. He took his time and smoked him with one shot. We were both pretty excited about him connecting with this guy. Here are a few pics of him and his pig!!

post-1504-1232988740_thumb.jpg

post-1504-1232988754.jpg

Awesome job, the Kauffman boys are whackin' em' again! Congrats, JIM>

Haywire, that was a good story and your pictures are great. Congratulations to your son. I just love the next generation hunters coming up. :D

TJ