AZHUNTER05

Turkey shot size question (Updated)

UPDATE

After my initial post I picked up some APEX TSS turkey shells. I figured I would share my results to help others save some money!

I went with the Apex GT-20, 3”, 1 5/8’s OZ, 9 shot (20 Guage). I chose these shells due to the recommendation of the choke manufacture. 

Gun is a semiautomatic 20 Gauge Beretta Ultima Turkey (24” barrel). I have it topped off with a Trijicon RMR red dot and an Indian Creek .570 choke tube. 

IMG_5624.thumb.jpeg.9d8fa906b4c6ec94f0cead165651c17c.jpeg
The 40 yard target had 60 pellets in the 5” circle and 155 in the 10” circle for a total of 215 pellets. (I did have to make a slight sight adjustment after this shot)

IMG_5625.thumb.jpeg.5a259ad9449552a9500bb5da8d587cb1.jpeg

20 yard target.

Sorry I couldn’t get the photo’s to upload correctly!

Original post

Good afternoon, 

I’ve been looking through the regs and I can’t seem to find anything regarding legal shot size for turkeys. Does anyone know if there is a regulation on shot size in AZ?

After doing lots of research on turkey loads, the TSS 9 shot seems to be incredibly lethal. So, I just want to ensure I’m good to go before spending the $70! 

Thanks, 

Cameron

• Like 2

Directly from the Arizona Administrative Code.  Does not stipulate shot size, only that your shotshell loads are indeed loaded with shot. 

13. A "limited weapon-shotgun shooting shot" season may use one or more of the following methods or devices for taking wildlife, if authorized under R12-4-304 as lawful for the species hunted:

a. Shotgun shooting shot,
b. Muzzleloading shotgun shooting shot,
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

After doing lots of research on turkey loads, the TSS 9 shot seems to be incredibly lethal. So, I just want to ensure I’m good to go before spending the $70! 

That's the price for only 5 rounds too, $14 every time you pull the trigger. I used to think twice before buying ten rounds of tungsten shot for $40. Lately I have been shooting Winchester longbeard XR copper plated lead $25 for 10 rounds but that is getting harder to find. Good thing I still have a couple boxes. 

• Like 3

My son’s turkey gun is a 20 ga so the tss #9 was a little cheaper. 

Bottom target was a Remington #5 nitro turkey at 30 yards. Top target was a TSS#9 at 40 yards. It was impressive. 

IMG_5396.png

IMG_5394.png

• Like 2

The other thing to consider is to really pattern your gun to know your max effective range you would need to shoot how many times? I am glad you shot it at 40 yards but what does it look like at 45 and 50? What is your true max range? Also how close is to close? What does it look like at 10 yards? Baseball size or smaller? I like to have at least a volleyball sized pattern or larger. Smaller than that and it's easy to miss. Also beyond 40 how effective is #9 tungsten going to be at breaking a turkey spine?  

• Like 3

Funny you mention that, our next trip out was to shoot both closer and further to see how it did. The blended loads of TSS and lead are designed to address the issue you speak of where they are supposed to open a little faster up close but still have the shot density down range. 

From what I can find, the gel penetration is better than #4 lead at 40 yards.  Only time will tell for us guess .  I’ve heard the long beard is a crusher of a load but I’m having a heckuva time finding any in 20ga. Midway just got some in in #6

#4 or #5 for me, only my opinion..

• Like 1

I’m not sold one way or another yet honestly. More testing needed. Both targets would have been dead turkeys. 

2 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

Good afternoon, 

I’ve been looking through the regs and I can’t seem to find anything regarding legal shot size for turkeys. Does anyone know if there is a regulation on shot size in AZ?

Thanks, 

Cameron

It really gives the smaller gauges like the 410 a leg up. The last Rio I shot was at  7 yards. TSS, 12 g. Bang Flop. Extra Full Choke.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

Good afternoon, 

Thanks, 

Cameron

Cameron what shells are you looking at?

Pattern your gun then you’ll know full choke, I’m with wild wood shooting 5 shot yahoo I have a tag this year!!

• Like 2

Remington SP10, Winchester super double x 3 1/2"  2 1/4 oz #5's, Hastings ported .690 tube...sudden death to 60yds...

So per the regs, not that you would but since it doesn’t specify size, buckshot would also be legal then? 

4 hours ago, Couesdeer said:

Directly from the Arizona Administrative Code.  Does not stipulate shot size, only that your shotshell loads are indeed loaded with shot. 

13. A "limited weapon-shotgun shooting shot" season may use one or more of the following methods or devices for taking wildlife, if authorized under R12-4-304 as lawful for the species hunted:

a. Shotgun shooting shot,
b. Muzzleloading shotgun shooting shot,

That’s all I could find as well. I figured there would be something more specific than just shot shells.

Thank you for your response 👍

• Like 1