AZHUNTER05

Turkey shot size question (Updated)

4 hours ago, Little Creek Calls said:

That's the price for only 5 rounds too, $14 every time you pull the trigger. I used to think twice before buying ten rounds of tungsten shot for $40. Lately I have been shooting Winchester longbeard XR copper plated lead $25 for 10 rounds but that is getting harder to find. Good thing I still have a couple boxes. 

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos on TSS verses the lead (specifically the one you mentioned) and I’ve had mixed reviews on it. The TSS are expensive, but shoot incredible patterns at 40 yards. I’ll definitely pick up some longbeard xr to try out though! Hopefully I can save some money 😂

5 hours ago, Eli said:

My son’s turkey gun is a 20 ga so the tss #9 was a little cheaper. 

Bottom target was a Remington #5 nitro turkey at 30 yards. Top target was a TSS#9 at 40 yards. It was impressive. 

IMG_5396.png

IMG_5394.png

Thanks for sharing 👍

What choke are you running?

• Like 1

I got the same results as Eli, those TSS rounds are amazing. Stupid expensive but they group way better than any other ammo on the market using the same choke. My boy shot his last year with the TSS 9,8,7 mix. Deadly on turkey. 

Still hard to wrap my mind around those prices on TSS, but IMO worth it.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies! 

I’m fairly new to turkey hunting, so I’ve had to do a ton of research on turkey loads and different chokes. I found a YouTube channel called “Blue Collar Outdoors USA”. On their channel they share loads of information about different ammo choices and chokes on a multitude of different shotguns. After watching most of their videos I’ve narrowed my choice of ammo down to TSS and possibly the Winchester Long beard XR. However, the TSS completely destroys lead rounds. 

I ended up purchasing an Indian Creek choke tube in a .570 constriction. Indian creek recommends Apex or Foxtrot ammunition for their chokes. So, I’m planning on picking up some Apex green leaf or some of their other 9 shot shells to pattern my gun. 

If anyone’s curious how TSS rounds compare to lead shells or what choke constrictions are best. I would highly recommend you check out the YouTube channel I mentioned above. 

Thanks again for all the help 👍

IMG_5563.png

• Like 1

At 7yards 2 3/4 #9 dove load will kill a turkey.

buy lots of options and test them 

My wife was quick to point out that each shell costs about as much as just buying a frozen turkey. Not nearly as much fun though 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I going with either Winchester Double X or the Long Beard XR.

It’s a turkey gobble bang you can do it!  Get er done grave yard.   Yahoo!  What’s for dinner?

12 hours ago, Eli said:

So per the regs, not that you would but since it doesn’t specify size, buckshot would also be legal then? 

Yes buckshot is still "shot" and legal. I use 3-1/2 4 buck on fall hunts. 

13 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

Yes buckshot is still "shot" and legal. I use 3-1/2 4 buck on fall hunts. 

Interesting. What kind of range are you getting with that? 

This is a fun topic. I think the fun in turkey hunting is in the calling and getting them in close. Have I shot birds at 40+ yards before? Yes, but for me it is much more exciting to have birds under 20 where you can feel the vibration of the spit and drum and hear his long wing feathers dragging the ground and really see the color changing on a toms head when he is in close. A lot of this comes down to where you pick to setup before calling. One of the things I remember most from the late Marvin Robbins seminars was how he taught the importance of setting up where you can only see to your shooting capabilities so when the tom shows up he is in range and you can kill him. If the tom shows up and can see you at 80 yards there is a good chance he can see your setup and will not come any closer for you to get a shot. Even if you are using decoys, they only work for me about 25% of the time. If you want to be a more successful turkey hunter pay more attention to where you set up.

I guess its kind of like Coues hunting, you can glass deer and shoot them at 1000+ yards but is it more fun to save money on gun setup try to get closer or even into archery range? There is no right answer, it is up to the hunter to get the experience he is looking for out of each hunt.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

This is a fun topic. I think the fun in turkey hunting is in the calling and getting them in close. Have I shot birds at 40+ yards before? Yes, but for me it is much more exciting to have birds under 20 where you can feel the vibration of the spit and drum and hear his long wing feathers dragging the ground and really see the color changing on a toms head when he is in close. A lot of this comes down to where you pick to setup before calling. One of the things I remember most from the late Marvin Robbins seminars was how he taught the importance of setting up where you can only see to your shooting capabilities so when the tom shows up he is in range and you can kill him. If the tom shows up and can see you at 80 yards there is a good chance he can see your setup and will not come any closer for you to get a shot. Even if you are using decoys, they only work for me about 25% of the time. If you want to be a more successful turkey hunter pay more attention to where you set up.

I guess its kind of like Coues hunting, you can glass deer and shoot them at 1000+ yards but is it more fun to save money on gun setup try to get closer or even into archery range? There is no right answer, it is up to the hunter to get the experience he is looking for out of each hunt.

Only once have I called one in that strutted, drumming about 6' away it was pretty amazing. Walked right past me and the landowner down in Sonora. Disappeared into a wash and my friend was able to take his first turkey just as the sun was about to rise.

• Like 1

I went to one of Marvins seminars along time ago.  He really helped me out plus I bought two calls from him, still my go too.  Should be a great year, can't wait!  p.s. to the new hunter aim for the middle of the neck, good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Little Creek Calls said:

I’m a little confused by your post. I’m just looking for a lethal ammunition/choke combo that is effective to kill a bird out to 40 yards. I don’t think anyone mentioned shooting longer distances? From what I gather the industry standard for shooting turkeys is 40 yards and in…correct? 

Like I’ve mentioned previously I’m new to turkey hunting. Your tactics and decoy strategy seems like a great idea. I have no intention of shooting long distances. I’m primarily an archery hunter. So, getting in close with an animal is nothing new to me.