Curtis Reed

Anyone else freeze drying?

15 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

AZ Cottage food laws. Candy is ok 

Ummm…..    Thanks!  
My answer was going to be;  FDA?   Who’s that?!?  LOL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zackcarp said:

We've been doing whole meals for a couple months now. They turn out pretty good. My daughter has celiac, so finding a place she can eat on the road can be a pain. Now we take FD meals on the road and good to go. My kids love grapes, strawberries and pineapples as a treat.

Sweet you got one! Let's be friends. I wanna borrow that.  That's a great idea for the kiddo.

Seriously though I want one but we need to learn canning first. Maybe once I get really good at gardening. Wish I had more time for the fun stuff.  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, PRDATR said:

What kind of FDA hoops does he have to jump through at the retail level?

I wondered the same thing honestly.  Probably not a bad way to pay for the unit by doing this until the novelty factor wears off.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Sweet you got one! Let's be friends. I wanna borrow that.  That's a great idea for the kiddo.

Seriously though I want one but we need to learn canning first. Maybe once I get really good at gardening. Wish I had more time for the fun stuff.  

I have a black thumb bro. Haha.

16 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

I have a black thumb bro. Haha.

👍🏿

21 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Gardening is really easy and doesn’t take much of your time, if you invest in good soil. The problem is by the time buy lot of good soil, you could have bough the entire produce section twice 

the other thing about your time and gardening is when you get a nice garden you’ll find time to tend to it

• Like 4

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Gardening is really easy and doesn’t take much of your time, if you invest in good soil. The problem is by the time buy lot of good soil, you could have bough the entire produce section twice 

the other thing about your time and gardening is when you get a nice garden you’ll find time to tend to it

Agreed, still haven't had a chance to start seedlings yet. Been working every weekend and some evenings. Slammed right now.

Water automation is a huge time saver too.  I almost got mine set up for automated.  

Also getting ready to build some aeroponic towers based on this dudes designs. They look like they will be pretty sweet once set up.  

https://youtu.be/7j2dv7TELeU?si=1OMi0u5UoFoj9FCw

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Agreed, still haven't had a chance to start seedlings yet. Been working every weekend and some evenings. Slammed right now.

Water automation is a huge time saver too.  I almost got mine set up for automated.  

Also getting ready to build some aeroponic towers based on this dudes designs. They look like they will be pretty sweet once set up.  

Time to plant in ground is now. Better get those seeds germinated quick. I just planted all my peppers 2 weeks ago from inside.  

Good soil and good fertilizer. I fertilize once a week with neptunes harvest fish emulsion and cal-mag

• Like 1

Them there dehydrators ain't cheap. Anyone in for a time share.

2 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Time to plant in ground is now. Better get those seeds germinated quick. I just planted all my peppers 2 weeks ago from inside.  

Good soil and good fertilizer. I fertilize once a week with neptunes harvest fish emulsion and cal-mag

Its still in the 30s here in SV. We still need to wait. Old farmers tale, dont plant until the mesquites bloom.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

Its still in the 30s here in SV. We still need to wait. Old farmers tale, dont plant until the mesquites bloom.

oh copy… assumed in valley my bad. Still better plant seeds soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Good soil makes a huge difference. I've been using Fox Farm Ocean Forest with great results.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah, with automated watering real time saver there. 

• Like 1

My freeze dryer is down.  Won't pull enough vacuum.  I'm waiting on parts,  company is not very responsive. Hoping it's just a leaky vacuum hose. 

7 minutes ago, catclaw said:

My freeze dryer is down.  Won't pull enough vacuum.  I'm waiting on parts,  company is not very responsive. Hoping it's just a leaky vacuum hose. 

I had to pull off the shroud. The vacuum sensor freezes up. When you get the error code, rub it with your hand or hair dryer, itll kick over in a few minutes. Also, the drain valve should be replaced with a higher end valve.